Degradation at 37k miles...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

So, I just finished charging to 100% to check my buffer and I lost another 0.5% of the buffer since early July. At 100% SoC Display, I'm now at 97% BMS.
    On a new Kona, it's probably between 94.5% to 95.0% SoC BMS at 100% SoC. So, I lost 2 to 2.5% in just over 37k miles/60k km. This would mean about 20% degradation at 370k miles if degradation is linear which it is not. It usually slows down after an initial drop.. Still got 3% buffer remaining before my range will start dropping. 326 mile/522 km range at 100%.
    20201003_151155.jpg Screenshot_20201003-150525_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20201003-150533_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20201003-150538_Torque.jpg

ehatch, navguy12, Charles G and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Maple

Maple Member

I am wondering how the torque software knows the actual SOC is 97%.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. It just displays what the actual BMS is reporting as SOC. BlueKona, if its helpful to you my BMS reported SOC when my battery was literally brand new was 95% and is currently at 96.5% 10 months and 16,000 km later.

5. FloridaSun

That's what the car reports to the app..

6. FloridaSun

So, it appears that the rising SoC BMS number is a fairly accurate way to measure degradation..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's not really 20% "degradation", as you noted it's 20% of the margin until degradation starts to affect range. You could consider that Hyundai "warranty" a loss where the battery has under 70% capacity, a fairly extreme degradation. On that basis you have 35% total and you've used 2%, so you could say your degradation is about 6% of that which Hyundai consider acceptable.

As an added note, I do find it interesting that your cell voltage at 100% SoC-disp is still at 4.16 V, the same as it would have been when new. Where is the margin being used up?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  9. I don't think bluekona was saying it was 20% degradation rather he was making a linear prediction of what degradation might be at 370,000 miles.

KiwiME likes this.
  10. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    From my observations on my car pre BMS update Torque Pro reported 94.5% SoC BMS, 100% SoC display. Immediately after the BMS update to my car Torque Pro reports 96.5% SoC BMS, 100% SoC Display.

So I'm guessing that Hyundai "pinched" a little bit of the head room to achive the slightly higher published range figure!

John.

11. Ah, didn't spot that...
    The battery's 'odometers' are reset to zero when the update is applied so the SoC numbers may not be totally reliable until some history is acquired.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I like your Torque Pro screens, just got it for my Kona. How can I show every individual cell.

14. Just a note, there are 98 cell groups so you will never be able to read individual cells but just the 3 cells in that particular group.

mho, navguy12 and 1st-KonaEV-in-FL like this.
  15. I am new to Torque Pro, just got it. How do I select & display all 98 cell groups? I have some basic displays working with extra PUD files, but did not see display for each cell group. Thx

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Try here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/torque-pro-on-the-kona-overview-and-setup-for-interested-owners.6970/
    EDIT: found it (I read this and saved it for when I eventually need it)
    https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/blob/master/Hyundai Kona EV & Kia Niro EV/extendedpids/004_Kona&Niro_EV_BMS_cell_data.csv:)
    Not sure how to apply it , maybe post the question in the Torque pro installation thread., then I will know as well.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  17. FloridaSun

electriceddy likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

19. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Of note... the BMS can also report the highest and lowest cell voltage, which is far less to have
    to read. It also reports *which* cells are the high and low, which in a healthy pack jumps around
    because thd cells should be as close as possible. So I only bother reading those 4 numbers.

I haven't seen deltas larger than 0.02V, and the high/low N does change but tends to "stick" in
    some places just due to the order in which the BMS internally scans the taps.

_H*

navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  20. Could the "degredation" be anything to do with the Kona actually having a 71kw battery? I wish now I had a reading from day 1.

21. FloridaSun

Based on the math as also what I've read, the battery is 67 kwh and not 71 kwh. It appears that on a NEW Kona, there is a 5% buffer. 64/100 * 105 = 67.2 kwh. Where did you get the 71 kwh number from?

22. FloridaSun

That's interesting.. My SoC BMS stayed the same between before and after the BMS update.. It was 96.5% SoC BMS before and after the update (at 100% SoC Display)