DCFC Charging Failure

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Sep 15, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

As I suspected in a previous post, my SE no longer works with DCFC chargers. I've now tried three different brands of DCFC charger: Electrify America, Dirt Road (ABB branded hardware), and ChargePoint. All of them give me a cable connect error. I had to travel more than 150 miles yesterday and my joy at finding numerous DCFC chargers on my route quickly turned to dismay when I confirmed the failure. I ended making the trip by spending slightly more than an hour at Level 2 EVSEs to get just enough charge to make it with 15% SoC to spare.

Now to give the dealer a call and see how it can be diagnosed since they don't have a DCFC charger anywhere nearby.

sedcfcerror.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Yikes! Hopefully your dealership will be able to diagnose it...and I hope it's something as "simple" as a physical problem with the charging port on your car.

May the repair be quick and covered by warranty.

insightman likes this.
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this help but I read this on Reddit.My car was never charged on DC yet my trips only up to 130 miles both way and I charge only in my garage IMG_1002.jpeg

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

If it's getting stuck at cable check, then something is wrong the with locking mechanism (on the DCFC plug itself). J1772 charging should be fine because the locking mechanism is internal.

ccs1cablecheck.JPG

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1003.jpeg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

That's what it seems like, but since I've tried multiple DCFC chargers from multiple manufacturers it's got to be something on my SE.

9. Puppethead

My dealer now has two DCFC chargers, very surprising to me. They must be getting ready for all the new EV models coming. Since the dealer is conveniently right on my daily commute I stopped in and we were able to reproduce my charging problem. Météore is going into service next week to get examined and hopefully fixed.

ghost, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  10. Puppethead

It turns out rodents had nested in the wheel well and chewed the wires to the charge port. Wires repaired and DCFC charging works now.

senesting.png sewirechew.png

11. ghost

ghost Active Member

I had one wire chewed behind my front bumper. Cost $500 to replace. Was getting an error message, can't even remember what it was for

12. To remove this ad click here.