DC Fast Charging Infrastructure

Discussion in 'General' started by SouthernDude, May 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

I think I read somewhere that ChargePoint and EVgo were planning on expanding their DC Fast Charging Infrastructure in the US. Am I correct about this? If so, does anyone know anything about where they’re planning on building stations?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You can check plugshare.com to see locations that are under construction.

4. SouthernDude

PlugShare is a wonderful app, but it doesn’t tell me where proposed stations are. It only shows existing and under construction stations.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have yet to see any site where they tell you where proposed stations might be. All of these are subject to multiple potential issues, from permitting, cooperation from utility and from the landowner. Until all of these are ironed out, they can't really begin construction, and if there is a snag of some sort, a given site might be crossed off the list.

6. SouthernDude

I understand that; it’s why I’m asking if anyone knows anything beyond the announcements I heard about. There may be some document or article floating around that has a general plan outlined on where they plan to put the stations.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Reach out to them directly? Either e-mail or call their support number(s).

Please share what you discover. I only have one CCS-1 compatible, 2014 BMW i3-REx, and my last benchmarks show fast DC charging is 4x more expensive than running on the gas, motorcycle, range extender. With current gas even cheaper, that gas/EV ratio is closer to 5x-6x cheaper.

Bob Wilson

9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Domenick likes this.
  10. SouthernDude

https://www.natsoaltfuels.com/EVCharging.php

This is all the information that I’ve seen so far. I’ve emailed the charge point media team for any additional information and if there are ways for the general public to get involved. I’ll let everyone know if I get more information

Esprit1st likes this.
  11. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

greenlots has been expanding in Florida.. Great prices at their stations... but may be susidized..
    Most new stations charge 51 cents session fee + .12 per kwh

14. SouthernDude

But isn’t that just within the largest cities? And is it actually DCFC? I don’t know.

15. FloridaSun

Most of their new DCFC stations are not in the big cities.. They added 2 DCFC in Sebring on Highway 27 between my town Lakeland and Fort Lauderdale.. There have been no Level 3 chargers on that entire route except for EvGo at Bartow, 20 mins from my home.. They also added 2 more locations, one along Interstate 4 and another one on Highway 27, 20 miles north of there.
    2 DCFC units at each locations.. They have tons of Level 2 chargers also in the area.. New ones are popping up every month.. Florida has a great network of free or low cost Level 3 chargers, thanks to Greenlots chargers.

16. SouthernDude

That’s good. Unfortunately North Florida is light on DCFC.

17. FloridaSun

Unfortunately, not many options other than EA in North Florida.. Central Florida has plenty of low cost or even free DCFC chargers.. Pinellas county has 4 publicly accessible free DCFC chargers + 2 at an University parking garage for which a parking permit is required but that does not stop people without a permit from charging there.. There's another free one near I75 and the Florida Turnpike near Wildwood.. Harley Davidson has several free DCFC but they are only 24kw...

18. SouthernDude

I’d like to get more information on those un-networked DCFC stations. I personally think that the best method for getting the adequate infrastructure is with non-profits.

19. SouthernDude

Ok. I finally was able to get in touch with someone at charge point regarding their deal with NATSO. Hopefully my questions will be answered and I’ll post the response here or in another thread. Depending on how she responds, it could be breaking news.