Dashcam install - routing the wires

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by quietlyspinach, May 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Hi - I'm researching how to route the wires around in my 2022 SE. I found the fuse box in the back of the glovebox, but what is not clear to me is how to route the wires out from the fusebox to the hardware kit and where to stow the hardwire kit itself.

The videos I've seen online show earlier Mini Coopers where they pop off a trim panel that is hidden between the door and the base of the A-pillar, so that way you can access the back of the fusebox and the area above the footwell. However, it appears that side panel is not removable in my car.

I see there is a panel above the footwell that is labeled "airbag" - I'm a bit nervous about opening that, and also, I'm a bit surprised to see an airbag for my feet!

polyphonic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe that airbag protects your knees, rather than your feet. You can disconnect the 12V battery (not easy in an SE) to prevent airbags from accidently discharging.

4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I plan on installing front and rear dashcams sometime after mine is delivered in a month or so.

My current Miata is so simply constructed it was very easy to pull part parts off to run the wires but I think the Mini will be a challenge

I'm currently planning on using two Garmin dash cam mini's which will mean I won't have to run a wire from front to rear if I can find a keyed power source somewhere in the back of the car.

5. quietlyspinach

There is a 12V outlet near the top right corner of luggage compartment that shuts off when the ignition is off, after a few minutes (anywhere from 4-10 in my experience). I may end up going that route if I can't find a way to route the cable. The good news for me is I don't have a sunroof so I *might* be able to run the wires through the middle of the headliner if there is enough room to fish some string through.

6. quietlyspinach

I spent some time installing my dashcam today and I can confirm that 2022 Cooper SE does in fact have the same trim panel design as the last few years regarding access to the side of the fuse box, as seen in both of these two videos:

They both show the same panel, the removing the weather tripping and the bolts for the ground.

This is all you would need to install a front dashcam, however the challenge is routing the cable to the rear. I still haven't found a good path to the back, so my cable is partially visible around the B-pillar. However, once you get it back above the headliner behind the B-pillar it's a fairly straightforward exercise getting it through the left cable tube that joins the hatch and then feeding the cord so it comes out next to the cyclops reverse light.

I still haven't found an always-on fuse, but that's okay for now since I can live without parking mode.

polyphonic and Carsten Haase like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.