Current Buying Experiences

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by VABeachKiwi, Dec 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. VABeachKiwi

VABeachKiwi New Member

Has anyone bought a 2022 model recently… is there any price movement, or should I just expect to pay MSRP?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Depends on where you are. In my area there is very little availability and dealers are quoting over MSRP. But if you push you can achieve MSRP. Assume you are in VA Beach and I don't know what the situation is there. Do the dealers in your area have inventory?

4. Bigphoto

Bigphoto New Member

MSRP rules but there are some KIA dealers that are marking them up from as little as $1,000 to as much as $5500 over MSRP and calling it a market adjustment here in Virginia

• Bought our Niro EV end of September here in Colorado, on returning to dealership after the test drive there were two semi trailers arriving loaded with new Kia models... including multiple Niros... needless to say, we closed the deal that same hour, as all this new stock had our dealer HIGHLY motivated.

5. Psyd

Psyd New Member

just leased on Christmas eve...great "couldn't refuse" deal,
    ; with prior lease "equity" + $7500 fed tax credit+ dealer timing= nice big discount off msrp

perraru likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Dealbreaker

Dealbreaker New Member

Reserved ours around Thanksgiving in Seattle area at MSRP. It was ordered off pending delivery. Got it delivered in about 2 weeks. Lot inventory seems to be sold in hours. We did not even try to talk it down given the shortage.

8. Tesky

Tesky New Member

In July 2021 most of the local dealers were out or heavily marked up their stock. I found a little dealership with one Niro EV on the lot and got them to honor a supplier discount which got me a little below msrp. They were EV novices, not even offering me an EV vanity plate. But SUVs were selling at $8k above msrp!

9. captainhook290

captainhook290 New Member

I purchased one in Nov 2021 from a dealer in DC suburbs. (King Kia) I paid MSRP but got $11,500 off on a lease. Some dealers were adding 2k onto the MSRP. I was also to negotiate a very low interest rate on a lease. The first lease quote was BS and I negotiated a new lease. They were actually pretty good to work with.

I never lease cars, but I decided this time for several reasons.
    1.) I don't have to wait for the Fed Tax credit. The few extra dollars in fees were worth it. Maryland makes you pay full sales tax instead of paying for the tax during the lease. That is the biggest downside unless I buy the car when the lease ends.
    2.) I am not buying into depreciating technology. We all know the battery capacity is only going up. I have the option to buy the car for 21k if i decide to buy in 3 yrs.

FYI It cost me $100.00 to put in a smart level 2 charger. The Utility $300.00 rebate plus MD and Fed grants and credits covered almost all the cost.

Also wait until the last week of the month to renegotiate.

IslandLlama likes this.
  10. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

While I was test driving one of the two at my dealer they sold the one I was driving over the phone by the time I got back to the dealership, and had 2 people make appointments to see the other one in the showroom. Needless to say we paid MSRP minus the credits and leased ours.

Kirk likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. shepdave

shepdave New Member

I bought my 2022 EX Premium in Fairfax, Virginia in early October 2021. I paid $1,000 below MSRP, but that was including a $2,000 rebate from Kia. When I asked why it was not $2K below list, the sales guy said it was because they "only" marked it up $1,000.

A few weeks earlier I test-drove that same car at another dealer here in Fairfax County, and that dealer wanted something like $4,000 "market adjustment" above list. Since I wasn't willing to pay above MSRP, I walked away from that one.

13. Paid MSRP for a 22 in mid December. Traded in a 2019 with 35,000. Same model (EX) , but with heated seats, steering wheel, & better sound system. Tax credit plus state incentives covered the depreciation on my 2019, so "free car". 2nd one, since I had to give back my 2013 clean diesel to VW, for about 90% of what I paid for it. That one had 70,000 on it. I think that Kia/hundai better move out the Niro/kona inventory before the EV-6/Ioniq gets here. I expect to keep the Niro for a year or 18 months, until inventory and choices get better. Hard to buy a car that you can not sit in and drive.

Bigphoto likes this.
  14. Crash

Crash Member

Was just at a local Kia dealership getting a free level 3 charge, and they had a new 2020 Niro EX for $40610 USD.

Attached Files:

15. shepdave

shepdave New Member

I can see you mean a new 2022. That looks like a good deal. I presume it’s a base trim level, not very loaded. But that looks like that $2K discount from Kia, maybe.

16. Crash

Crash Member

Yes, 2022. And yes, base EX and not EX premium trim.

17. What makes it a "smart" charger?

18. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

Usually means it is connected to an app through the internet, like the Juice Box.

19. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Bought a new 2022 EX yesterday with total discount of $2,920 from MSRP. $2,000 of the discount was a KiA finance program that required me to finance $7,500. This was with what I think was a really good price for my trade.

Don't really know if this is a "good deal" as all the others within easy driving distance were Premium spec which I did not want. Also, the EV6 looks so good that it was hard for me to buy the Niro now instead of waiting for the EV6. But the Niro fits my needs so well that I went ahead with it.

As an aside, I had "ordered" a VW ID.4 but after driving demos at three different dealers was not happy with the user interface. After driving the Niro three times on demo drives and a 150 mile trip this morning, I really like the Niro interface with its knobs and push buttons. Looks like KIA is continuing that with the EV6.

20. Mel Rich

Mel Rich New Member

Just leased a 2022 Kia Niro EV and got $10,600 of which $7,500 is Federal rebate. Getting $4,500 back from Calif., $1,000 from REU ( electrical provider and $500 each from Calif. and REU for charge station and instalation.

perraru likes this.
  21. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Interesting that California state and local rebates total $5,500. Here in Iowa I qualify for no state or local utility rebates. However, I will be paying a $130 penalty each year for using my EV. I think it is to compensate the state for the gas tax I am avoiding.

Crash likes this.
  22. The laws should only require EV drivers to pay a road tax when they charge gas vehicle owners a tax to clean up the air that ALL LIFE on earth depends.