Cruise control not working

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Luis Abreu, Mar 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

Has anyone else got an error saying that Cruise control was not working? Unfortunately, it seems like the error is back (more than one year after if was last seen) and still have no info on the logs...

Interestingly, the error goes away after a few seconds and cruise control seems to be working properly...

thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    All the time, if you have a KAFAS-based "active cruise control." It's really rather unimpressive. It often refuses to engage (giving the temporary error) for several minutes after I'm no longer facing the bright sun, as if the camera is still blinded. The radar-based ACC on the godawful Toyota C-HR i was driving all week is much better (though not as good as the binocular camera system on our Subaru).

Aquavir likes this.
  4. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Yeah, not a fan of the adaptive cruise in my MINI. I almost always set it to the "old mode" of just speed control. It is way too easily confused by sun, gloom, parked cars, etc. And even when working, it seems to overreact by slowing down too much, too soon (even accounting for the set distance), and then taking forever to get back up to speed.

The radar-based active cruise in my 2019 Toyota RAV4 works great and I love it (except when I find myself going slower than I want because the jackwagon in from of me can't keep HIS speed constant).

Rob

Aquavir and Godfrey like this.
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I just use the limit button for those situations and now I have a "dead pedal" for the right foot.

CoachCookie and insightman like this.
  6. SameGuy

YUL
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

hello guys.

Mine is not adaptative, so maybe we can discard the bright sun issue...

9. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Nice! I've been looking at TJA/HOD since it worked on i3 and so much dormant BMW functionality is already on board. If my SE can fully park itself and recognize lanes markings, it can lane center. Then again, my dog probably has better vision and decision making than KAFAS...

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Yup, exactly. The limitations of our system make it almost useless, but my curious nature is pushing me to try it anyway. Y’know, for science. But I’m given pause every time I drive around and realize the state of the poorly marked local (lower-speed) roads.

11. Outagas

Outagas Member

Oddly just the other day my cruise self-cancelled at 120km/hr and briefly flashed an error message. I was able to reset it immediately and carry on. The sudden deceleration scared the crap out of me. Of course just to make it extra mysterious I was crossing a road imperfection at the time so a loud thump occurred simultaneously making me question if the sudden jarring to the suspension caused it to cancel. The one and only time this has happened.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's never happened in my 2021 SE, which doesn't have adaptive cruise control. Were you using adaptive or traditional cruise? Can you revisit that road imperfection (or one like it) to see if your cruise disengages again?

14. SameGuy

YUL
    It doesn’t tend to happen in larger cars, but anything that gets the stability control acting will cause the cruise control (regular or adaptive) to shut off. Hitting a large bump tends to do that, or a sudden jerk of the steering wheel, or even just going around a tight enough bend. With our cars’ rudimentary version of ADAS, all sorts of gremlins can also cause ACC to shut off (with a pop-up alert).

insightman likes this.