Creaking doors

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Alf_W, Oct 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Hello! The SE has been the #1 ride in the household for nine months, and 5200 miles. In that time, the doors have developed a creaking sound when driving on bumpy roads. Online research indicates that (1) this is a common development in BMWs, and (2) is caused by rubbing between the door seals and the adjacent metal parts of the door.

The remedy is often cited as to wash and wax the contacting door parts, and to lubricate the seals with various products.

Anyone here have experience with this, and any additional insights or recommendations?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Gummipflege. Do all the rubber(y) seals with it before and after winter or when you rotate your tires. It really will stop the squeaking that sounds like it’s coming from the door hinges, it also stops the squeaking of the window glass going back up under the drip rail, and believe it or not it apparently stops what sounds like the rattling coming from the B pillar.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

PS: if you haven’t yet done the stupid PPF mod to stop the door jamb paint marring issue, attack that before using the Gummipflege Stift, because it has silicones in it and the PPF adhesive won’t stick well afterwards.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    endquote, h-dogg, azausa and 2 others like this.
  4. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I was planning to do this door jamb mod as a preventive measure, but I simply can’t seem to find any place online that will sell me an 8.5” X 11” sheet of PPF. Any ideas where I should look?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022