CR rates MINI #3 most reliable car

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Nov 29, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Consumer Reports (OK, I know not everyone believes they're reliable) reports MINI is the 3rd most reliable car! MINI's parent, BMW, is down at #9, and poor Mercedes ranks above only the bottom-feeder, Chrysler.

I don't know if the MINI Electric was part of CR's survey, but they report that electric cars in general haven't proved to be very reliable. Based on the posts in this forum, I'd say the MINI Electric is pretty reliable.

upload_2023-11-29_22-37-4.png

DaleL, nowkent and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lexus are basically badge-engineered Toyotas, ditto for Honda and Acura, so I'd rank MINI #2 and Subaru #4. :cool:

Qisl and insightman like this.
  4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

The problem with CR is the lack of detail in their reports, so they are not really all that useful.

In the magazine they can't provide the details, not enough space. However, they now run a web site that could easily do it.

5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Lucky me to own #2 and #4 IMG_1085.jpeg IMG_1230.jpeg

insightman likes this.
  6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well current Ford CEO Jim Farley was largely responsible for Lexus' success in North America along with many Toyota models including your beloved Crapolla. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Indeed. Are Lexus and Acura stand-alone brands outside North America these days? I remember seeing a Honda Legend and Honda NSX in Europe in 1999 or 2000.

9. I was looking at this trying to see if the EVs were penalized because of issues at the public chargers. Didn't see anything to tell me that this was not the case. Easy to get frustrated with the entire EV experience if you keep having problems fueling it.

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1231.jpeg
    I solve frustration fueling very easy BMW I 3 7 years and now SE for 2 years I NEVER drive longer distances when I’m not able return home on single charge .As retired I don’t drive a lot 5000 Miles /year and I was never stack on a road without electrons like my neighbors are ask what I do if my HV battery is dead.My answer is I do what you do if you not fill gas tank with gasoline. I push me EV home .

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  11. The question is: when CR calls, do you blame the car or tell them that you are not satisfied with your EV if the chargers are broken and you end up having to push/tow the car home?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If CR driving Ford Lighting I ask him to give me a charge bc Ford is equipped with 240 volt outlet as long you carry your charger

14. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Here is what they say. However, we are missing the details.
    EV CHARGING: Charges too slowly, charge connection problem, won’t charge at home, won’t work with public chargers, won’t fully charge, charging port problem, won’t DC fast charge (Note: Charging problems reported by members are with the vehicle, not with home or public chargers.)

15. thank you!

16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

People from consumer reports should prove they own and drives EV to have any opinions about EVs over wise they should shut up and lately everyone media oil company’s all TV Chanel’s Dealers bad mouth those cars.They don’t interview anybody with good experience with EV is only criticism we should show both sides of a coin good and bad .I drive Ev for 9 years and a way I’m using a car 5K miles a year I never drive a gas car again .Those EVs are not for everybody .On that Forum some owners have 60K miles in 3 years and they happy with SEs.

17. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm with Rexio. If you have to drive more than 120 miles a day, an EV might not be right for you. You can always spend lots (and lots) of money to fuel a gas-gussling SUV that will surely kill your great-grandchildren. I too am retired, drive about 10,000 miles a year, and range anxiety doesn't bother me. I can charge every day if I want to (and only pay a third of what the gas would cost).

insightman and Rexsio like this.
  18. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

My brother came in from NY this weekend. We went to breakfast at the small airport in the SE (with run flat winter tires on JCW rims) and his wife took a few pictures of the private jets. Then, with a few hours to spare drove to see a few "sights." He drove, I was in the back. His wife got a few pictures of Casa Bonita, and we drove to look at some neighborhoods for no real reason. Drove around the lot at Mile High and she got a few more pictures and home. Total 49.5 miles and we plugged it in. At less than a nickel a miles that was $2.50 in juice. If we took my 1 series which has about the same rear seat room as the SE, at about 21 MPG at 2.89 for mid at one of the gas war stations it would be about $7.25 for gas.

Now to figure out the depreciation after 10 years and then the present value of the money spent and not spent and the difference in annual registration with the EV "tax," and now that my head has exploded I will change my mantra to "Just Drive It."

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  19. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Well considering Mini has been making the same car for nearly a decade at this point… I remember going to the launch event in March 2014…

20. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

That thought crossed my mind as well - sort of the corollary of not buying a car the first year it is released. It makes me wonder what the flaw-rate decay curve looks like for cars. Or, is it like wine, where there are better years and poorer years?

21. MrSnrub

First two years had some issues. Valve cover pcv problems, crank pulleys breaking. We still see that. They never figured out the engine mount issues even with the TU engines. I have a 2019 ICE and had the mounts done under warranty just before it was up. Tbh my ICE S has 65k on it and that’s been the only issue and an O2 sensor which I changed for 65$

22. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Reed and insightman like this.
  23. MrSnrub

My neighbour had a first year Taycan and Porsche ended up buying it back recently its had so many problems. Now issues with the rear gearbox are starting to pop up