Cost to fully charge??

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Nancy Stich, May 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nancy Stich

Nancy Stich New Member

Hello everyone. Has anyone figured out how much it costs to charge your battery? I just looked up my rate from my electric company. It appears, from my calculations that the charge per kWh is $ .04092. I am not sure how this compares with others' rates.

I know many of you know a lot more about this than I do. Has anyone figured out the cost? What did you come up with and how did you calculate it?

Thanks!
    Nancy

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Your electric rate is amazing. Ours is $0.15. The most it has taken to fully charge our car is 14.17KWh which would cost $2.12. Gas in our area is running about $3.50 a gallon. Our charge point, a JuiceBox 40, keeps a record of every charge.

We have solar so actually charge for free.

4. Nancy Stich

Nancy Stich New Member

I am so jealous of your solar!!!

I may not have calculated the kWh correctly. I took the energy charge from the utilities website for 1000 kWh and divided it by 1000 to get the .0409. However, when I run the calculations from my bill I am getting .0511124 which is still good. If I use the higher result and multiply it by 14.17, it looks like my charge per charging will be .7242. If I adjust for loss to be .85, then it looks like a full charge may cost me $ 0.852. Now if I say that it costs me 85cents to charge my battery and I drive 48 miles on that charge, then my cost per mile is $ 0.01775. So roughly 2 cents per mile. If I calculate at 3.50 per gallon of gas that gets 42 MPG then the fuel cost per mile is $ 0.083333.

I am loving the savings in gas. I would have filled up my E Class Mercedes this past week at $ 60.00 a fill up roughly. Passing by the gas station and saving the money on gas is the ultimate luxury.

Nancy

5. jdonalds

I figure we will save about $1,800-2,000/year, and that is calculated by comparing 2017 gas consumption vs 2018. In 2017 we had a Prius which was already great on gas. Oh that $2,000/year includes house electricity savings too. About 1/2 the savings is gas, the other half house power.

6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I'm guessing Texas. Be careful to stay in that lowest rate tier: https://electricityplans.com/detect-teaser-electricity-rates/

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I don't know where you live, but in SoCal the billing from Edison is broken down into generation charges and delivery charges. You have to add the two together to see what a KwH costs. The best we get is 0.12 super off-peak in the summer.

9. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Nancy, the 14.2 kWh per charge includes charging losses, so your cost to charge should be 0.04 dollars per kWh * 14.2 kWh, or a bit less than 60 cents. Incredibly cheap given it is equivalent to a bit more than a gallon of gas.

Usually the bill has extra fixed fees, so any kWh added are at the price per kWh. The higher 5 cent calculation you did is including those extra fees, the more electricity you use, the closer that number will get to the 4 cents per kWh you are charged (usually, sometimes people have to pay more if they exceed a certain amount).

10. jdonalds

We have a "connect" fee of $15/month. Then each kwh is 15 cents. I don't include the connect fee in my calculations for the car because I already have to pay that connect fee whether I charge the car or not.

11. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

I am also jealous with your electric rate. In SF bay area, PG&E has 2 schedule rate plans for customers with Electric vehicles, EV-A and EV-B. We signed up for the EV-A rate plan because it doesn't require installation of a separate meter dedicated to charging EV. The lowest rate on this plan is ~13cents/kWh during off-peak hours (11 p.m. - 6 a.m.). Outside of these hours, the rates jump significantly by 2x and 4x (see attached). We setup a schedule to charge our car after 11 pm to take advantage of the lowest rate. It costs slightly under $2 to fully charge our Clarity from empty.

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 2.50.47 PM.png

CaryLyn likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Nancy Stich

Nancy Stich New Member

OK Viking, good to know that the 14.2 kWh includes charging losses. In looking at my utility bill my total metered charges for electricity were $ 70.46 for 863 kWh. However, there are four components to the electricity charges: customer charge, Energy Charge, Storm Restoration Offset and Fuel Adjustment. I calculated it on the Energy Charge. In retrospect though, perhaps I should calculate it by combining the Energy Charge and the Fuel Adjustment. This bill is based on a meter reading on May 16th. I bought my car on May 10th so there are five or six charges of the Clarity included in this reading.

If I calculate the values by combining the energy charge and the fuel adjustment charge then my cost per kWh is .07745075, then multiply by 14.17, the total is $ 1.09747717. I am going to round this to $ 1.10 per charge. Based on that the cost per mile, using 48 miles per charge, is still just slightly more than 2 cents per mile, .0228 to be precise.

All in all, this will be a tremendous savings for me.
    Nancy

14. Timothy Fay

Timothy Fay New Member

In Tampa, our general rate is $.12 per kwh. This is still high for me. I've added solar to my roof and now I'm changing my Gen 2 volt for free.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Inside EVs mobile app

15. Nancy Stich

Nancy Stich New Member

At some point I would love to have solar panels and to be able utilize the sun to charge my Clarity.
    Nancy

16. Timothy Fay

Timothy Fay New Member

You can. As long as you get the correctly sized system, your payment would be the same as your highest months electric bill. Call a company and get a quote. If you're wanting to add home batteries, that's extra. But it was well worth the investment for me :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Inside EVs mobile app

17. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

No doubt that solar panels are cheapest. Next best is someone whose electric rate is low and gasoline prices are high (my situation). Looks like even in high power rate locations, EV for the Clarity is cheaper than gasoline. Are there locations out there where it's cheaper to run the Clarity on gas than electricity (not including commercial charge stations, which can be very expensive)?

18. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

In North Carolina we currently pay .094/KWH for all 24 hours of the day. So that is about $1.35/full charge or $.027/mile.