"Cool" feature and EV range impact

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JimW, Jul 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JimW

JimW Active Member

I helped my daughter move furniture to a new apartment all morning, then hit the road for 4 hour drive home. I got really tired mid-afternoon, driving into the hot sun, so I stopped at a rest area to take a nap. I left the car "on", with the A/C blasting, while I took a power nap to recharge myself. I thought this was a really cool feature - to do this without burning gas or danger of CO fumes. And it blows lots of really cold air, which an idling ICE would not be able to do.

I got home and charged overnight. I panicked to see EV range of only 48 miles, when I've been getting high 50's all summer. Then I remembered my nap. So the car based its range calculation on the fact that my car moved zero miles while in EV mode for 30-40 minutes. After a couple days, my EV range has crept back up to the mid-50's.

weave and dstrauss like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rob_v1

Rob_v1 Member

Yes, I've noticed that the EV range prediction varies according to my recent driving pattern and style. If I take a few consecutive long trips, it climbs. If I drive only around town for a few days, it drops back down. And if I punch it a lot, it drops.

4. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Jim, how much of a charge did you have? If you were driving for a while, I would expect the battery to be near empty unless you used the HV mode. If the battery is near empty, I suppose the ICE would kick in to support the AC. One thing I like is I don't need to shut off the car when I'm stopped for a while because the ICE is not idling.

I had a similar situation but slightly different from yours. I found a free charging station at a neighborhood store. I was able to charge and use the climate control from the Hondalink app to turn on the AC. I could sit in the car comfortably while charging and watch some videos on the phone. The climate control is supposed to shut off in 30 minutes but I guess you could always turn it back on. It also turns off if you open the door. Actually, I never tried this but is it possible to charge while the car is still on? In this case, I wouldn't need to use the Hondalink app.

jdonalds likes this.
  5. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Only thing I don't like about being able to leave the vehicle "running" and walk away is that if I take the fob with me, it won't let me lock the doors via the fob or with the exterior button. I assume it will let me use the interior lock mechanism and the door will stay locked when shut but I have not tried that. I have simply turned off the car, exited and locked via the fob and then immediately initiated the pre-conditioning.

6. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

My toyota smart key reacts the same way. I think it is designed that way to prevent incidental leaving the car turned on and returnung to a drained battery. When i wanted to leave my power on to charge my phone i would just manually lock the door with the metal key with the fob locked in the car.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. weave

weave Active Member

I love this. I take a lot of cross country drives and never felt comfortable sleeping in a rest area with the windows down or the windows closed and the A/C running with my ICE cars.