Controlling Access to a Second Home Charging Station

Discussion in 'General' started by Marcie, Jul 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Marcie

Marcie New Member

We are trying to figure out how to put a charging station in a second home where the driveway is actually across the road from the house. The driveway is pretty secluded and Requires a new meter and post with a charging station which will be visible to the road. My question is, how do you secure the charging station when you aren’t there for extended periods of time? I was thinking with the wifi charging stations, you could lock them through their apps, but that’s not the case. What physical options do I have for a hardwired, outdoor charging station that’s basically left alone?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The easiest option would be to put a NEMA 14-50 Rv plug box with a lock on it. Here is a link https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-50-Amp-1-Space-1-Circuit-Temporary-RV-Power-Outlet-Box-CHU1S/100565603. When the lid is closed you can put a pad lock on the pox so there is no access. Then you can unplug the EVSE (charge station) and leave it in the house when you gone . If you feel you need a hard wired unit there are still options. You can put the EVSE in a NEMA 3R (weather proof) box and lock the box. You can also get a circuit breaker box with a cover that locks. In that case you could turn off the circuit breaker and lock the cover so it could not be turned on, leaving the EVSE with out power. If the unit is already installed they make lock out tag out devices which allow you to lock a circuit breaker. These are used bu electricians when doing repair work so the circuit can not be accidentally energized during work but would also work to disable the EVSE when your gone. I am assuming you are not installing the box yourself so just talk to your electrician and he should be able to provide you with a simple lockable system as described above.

Marcie likes this.
  4. Marcie

Marcie New Member

Timing was perfect! I got your suggestions, passed it on to the electrician and we are on our way! Thank you very much!

5. Perfect timing - I'm looking for ways to add EV charging to my cottage location, and this has given me great ideas.