Connecting EVSE to main breaker / meter

Discussion in 'General' started by Joebob, Nov 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Joebob

Joebob New Member

Hello,

I would like to install a 40 amp EVSE on the outside of our garage, immediately next to our main panel and meter. We have 200 amp service. The main panel has two 100 amp breakers. Each feeds a sub panel - one in the garage and the other farther into the house. The garage sub panel has a slot for a new breaker and could accommodate a new dedicate 50 amp circuit for the EV. Connecting to the garage sub panel will require a 25+' conduit run.
    Is there a simple way to power the EVSE from the main/meter which is immediately adjacent? This would avoid the costly conduit run to the garage sub breaker. Note that the main panel doesn't have any open slots. The two slots are filled with breakers that feed the two sub panels.
    Tx!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

For insurance and code compliance, a licensed electrician should make that call. But I have an opinion.

It sounds like the garage panel would be the right approach. Need to understand the garage electrical load first but that is where I would start.

Electric dryer in garage? Electric water heater in garage? Need to understand the existing garage electrical load first.

Bob Wilson

4. I had a 220v/50a outlet installed directly below my subpanel.

Of your electrician is willing, a weathertight receptacle outside would make this simple.

Attached Files:

5. JoeC

JoeC New Member

Thanks for the responses. Yes, there is a physical slot in the garage sub breaker and sufficient electrical capacity to accommodate a new 40-50A circuit. The problem is that the garage sub-breaker is a 25-30' run to the opposite side of the garage and through an exterior wall to get to the preferred EVSE location in the driveway. Electricians want $$$ for this.

Here is a picture of the main panel. No open slots to run a new breaker/circuit and I assume creating a new panel would be $$$, too.

Attached Files:

6. Is there a subpanel in the garage? Your new breaker would be installed there.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You might contact your local housing inspection office an ask what the protocol is for owner installed wiring.

Install the outlet and wiring leaving all inspection fasteners loose. Have but not install the GFI, 50 A circuit breaker. Go with a heavy duty NEMA 14-50 connector as the over the counter ones can fail too easily. Your electrician can then easily inspect and signoff on the installation or the inspector come down to check. Be sure and document torquing the electrical connectors.

Bob Wilson