Confusion around battery issue: buy back or repair?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jolee, Jun 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jolee

Jolee Member

Last week I received a letter from Executive Manager saying Hyundai ordered us to buy back specific pre-owned Hyundais and your Kona EV qualifies for their program.

Yesterday I received a notice saying I should contact my Hyundai dealer to schedule the recall repair as soon as possible.
    Your Hyundai dealer will update the software of the Battery Management System or replace the Battery System Assembly if necessary.
    New Jersey 2019 ultimate

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Wonder if that's just coincidence. Given the current demand for used cars, we have been getting similar letters from the Audi dealer where we bought our Audi from as well as the Audi dealer where we have had the car serviced telling us Audi wants them to buy back our car.

4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Methinks you have a choice....sell it back or get the recall done. Up to you!

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I think it kinda sux that they are just planning a BMS (software) update on these models. If I had to GUESS, once the "remedy" becomes available, we go to the Service center & they will check the current individual cells - if any are out of +/- 2v tolerance, then we're a candidate for a replacement. Otherwise, the BMS will be applied - for whatever that is supposed to do... So we've had out charging reduced for what - 6 months - and given a $200 gift card for the inconvenience. Only to go back for another Software update to get back to 100% Charge? hmmmph ...

6. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

The BMS update could have been done a while ago, long before batteries became available. But, yes, now, first one and then the next.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

In the United States many states have a "Lemon Law". This forces upon request to buy back cars that fit the "law's" definition of a lemon. As for the Kona, the car was deemed not repairable immediately. The lemon law states (in our state) that on of the requirements of the law is that it the vehicle be repaired within 30 days of the failure of the part. In your Kona, the entire battery needed to be replaced along with 4,000 other Konas with the same defect. This was not possible to do within the 30 days. Thus, the buy back for the "Lemon cars". It is possible that if your state has a Lemon Law that Hyundai is being proactive and not waiting for the hassle of the official request from you to buy it back. The dealer, as you stated was ordered to buy back these cars. I believe if you want to keep it, you could wait for the battery or possible trade it in for a 2020 Kona EV. The approximate cost for the trade if it is in good shape would be just the cost of the miles you have driven it. There is a formula in the lemon law for the buy back.
    Get more information but get the update. It is for your safety. These cars have been known to ignite just charging in a garage. One of the updates tests for defect and helps protect you form harm. I firmly believe Hyundai does not want to see anyone harmed by these cars.

9. Ya, I'm starting to get peeved. We will replace the battery, maybe we'll replace the battery, we'll check AGAIN to see IF we need to replace the battery. We'll buyback your car, oh, wait, no we won't, not anymore. 2019s and 2020s are affected but not SOME 2019s and 2020s. Charge only to 80% for safety here but 90% is somehow just as safe in some countries there.

I think it's time for Hyundai Worldwide to come up with a consistent, definitive statement.

DelRider, apu, ElectricArt and 3 others like this.
  10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

So I chatted with my Service Dept. yesterday - SF BAY AREA, USA. I asked about the status of RECALL 200 for my 2020 Ultimate. He looked it up and said "yea, your car is on the recall list for the battery replacement. Hyundai will change the recall from 200 to 200-X when the battery replacement is ready for you." I guess that is better than him saying "Determine if a battery replacement IS necessary." ... Waiting for that notification. :)

11. I'm in northern New Jersey with a 2019 SEL. I too was on the recall list but was never contacted about a buy back. I went for the software update and after the update the dealer told me the battery tested fine and nothing more was to be done. I am wondering how a software update can repair a hardware problem? I have a call into a corporate case manager to ask. My VIN number search on the recall sites has suddenly yielded no results, vs the 200 recall I had before the software update.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Personally I'm waiting for the Ioniq 5.
    Fire extinguisher at the ready...

KENNY likes this.
  14. HepKona

HepKona Member

I like the look of the Ioniq, but this experience has been so frustrating, I think I am done with Hyundai. Thinking about taking a Mach E for a test drive next weekend.

15. That letter smells fishy. It doesn't sound like a battery buyback. Why would they call your car "pre-owned"? And I never heard of an Executive Manager at a car dealership.

Perhaps it is a come-on to try to get you to trade in your car?

16. Exactly. With used cars in such high demand these "dealers" are low-balling trade-ins in hope of turning a quick profit. I bet the "Executive Manager" just got ahold of a client list and doesn't even know what a Kona EV is.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    DelRider likes this.
  17. Jolee

Jolee Member

The letter with a good offer was legitimate. The name and title of the 'Executive Manager' was also legitimate. I called and spoke with them. Offer was offered for Saturday, June 19, 2021 9:00 AM-5:00PM. Now am awaiting delivery of battery instead for replacement.