Comparing Compact BEV Specs

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Mar 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I took specs from the CarPervert video review of the MINI Electric (including the 3,175-pound weight Jonny lists for the MINI instead of the 3,009-lb or 3,163-lb numbers quoted by others). I added specs for the eGolf, which Jonny didn't include in his MINI Electric review. His British pricing was retained because many of the cars in the table are not available in the US. I welcome any corrections (with sources, please), which I will post after verifying the sources. So please check later in this thread for updated versions of this table.
    [​IMG]

Despite people complaining that BMW cobbled up the MINI Electric from their parts bin, this car's specs stack up very well against the specs of the clean-sheet design of the Honda e, the car I was hoping Honda would bring to the US. The MINI Cooper SE I've instead ordered will be quicker, lighter, more agile, and less expensive than the Honda e.

To Honda's credit, the Honda e's 100 kW FCDC charger enables it to achieve 80% of a full charge 6 minutes quicker than the MINI Electric. Also, the Honda e has four more LCD screens than the MINI Electric. So if you want the joy of feeding virtual fish in an animated aquarium on the dashboard of your electric car, wish for the Honda e, but if you want to accelerate and corner quicker, choose the MINI Electric.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Hyundai 2019 Ioniq electric - No wins for power or speed, but it's very efficient for 125 miles range on 28.8 kWh (don't know if that's usable portion or total), also the heat pump makes for less winter range loss. Some call it the poor mans M3 (esp. for those who bought/leased end of year at 15k+ off, or $100/mo.). Only the limited has the heat pump.
    Hyundai 2020 Ioniq electric - no heat pump in the U.S., but Europe mid and high level do get the heat pump, battery 38 kWh.

insightman likes this.
  4. insightman

Here's the table with the 2020 Hyundai Ionic Electric included:

[​IMG]

5. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

The comparison would benefit from a column on battery temperature management (geeky but important technology).

The 80% charge metric is nonsensical, as the 80% represents entirely different miles, better to know kWh added in 30 mins, but that's not reported by manufacturers and is only possible to know by testing in warm weather.

insightman likes this.
  6. insightman

A very good suggestion, but I'm running out of room for more columns, so I used an asterisk to indicate the cars with proper liquid-cooled batteries.

[​IMG]

SmartElectric likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.