Cold Weather charging

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Mike Dunn, Nov 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mike Dunn

Mike Dunn New Member

Wondering how all y'all (I'm from the South of Salt Lake City) are seeing your SE topped off after charging when the weather chills. I'm seeing 104-106 range when my Level II charger fills my MINI in 40-ish degree garage weather. Saw as much as 121 a few months ago. I assumed the batteries were preheating to accept max upload of volts.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

43 mile max range at 99%.

gom1.jpg

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

(FYI there's an older thread on winter battery performance)

The batteries work fine in cold, it's using the cabin heater that eats range (proven by experimentation). The biggest impact is the amount of e-power (left gauge), I've been down as low as 30% e-power. Don't believe the GOM, on the coldest days it still underestimates the range by quite a bit. Even on days of -20 ºF or lower I usually get 90 miles of range when using the heat.

IMG_3387.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    Rexsio and MichaelC like this.
  5. Mike Dunn

Mike Dunn New Member

Thanks for info on the other link.

6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

dontbelievetheGOM.jpg

Puppethead and CuriousGeorge like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

-31F? WTF? I can't imagine what that feels like. It is probably 70F in my office right now, I have a heater blowing on my legs and I have a hoodie on.

The heat here is what kills range. It gets so hot that it takes a lot of energy to keep the batteries cool and to keep the inside of the car comfortable.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't find that to be much of an issue, although I live far enough north that the sun isn't as strong. Maybe it's the UV light? Or the humidity, although my area does experience dew points into the 70s ºF (tropical) in the summer.

sehot.jpg