Climate control off - water drip near front passenger wheel

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by moka, Feb 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moka

moka New Member

I'm noticing what I think is water (feels like it, no smell, slight white residue in dried spots) dripping near the front passenger wheel, from a few drips to a small puddle the past few days. What confuses me is why there is water dripping when the car's been driven with climate control off in sunny weather 40F-70F.

Also, according to this post, the drain should be toward the rear passenger side. https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/where-is-the-evaporator-drain-hose-located.7372/#post-82894

Is this the evaporator draining? From what?

#1 water drip from this hole
    water-leak.png

#2 better view of underbody (not my car/picture); arrow should be pointing to same hole as pic #1 (also noticing some liquid around that panel area)
    underbody.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

The car has more water storage than a camel. It is possible that the condenser needed to run to cool the HV battery.

4. moka

moka New Member

LOL. No kidding.

I was also wondering if it might be the battery cooling. Still unsure about the drain location. I've only noticed it near the front.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Every shovel and rake in my garage rusted after we bought our Clarity in 2017. Our Clarity retains water as if it had edema--until it gets into the garage, where that water slowly drips, drips, drips onto the floor. I try to remember to park outside the garage for a while after driving in wet conditions, hoping it will drain before I take it inside, but then I have to go out later and put the Clarity away. Our great, sadly missing fellow forum member, @KentuckyKen, kept a dehumidifier running in his garage to counter this problem. I should do that, too.

UptheHill2theLeft likes this.
  6. laptop

laptop Member

That’s terrible! We keep our cars in the garage and I have not paid attention to any dripping. Right now there is too much salt on the floor, once it warms up I will wash the floor and keep an eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

It doesn't even have to be raining, even if I just drive on wet roads it picks up a huge amount of water. My guess is it's caused by the aerodynamic panels under the car, the water probably splashes up on top of them while driving, then they apparently have drains to dissipate it, but it drains slowly creating a situation that is similar to bringing a car with snow and ice into the garage.

insightman likes this.
  9. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Some of the underbody panels have a velour type material that holds lots of water. Why they use that i have no clue, if its for sound it seems like there has to be a better way. We've just got our 3rd garage cleared out enough that we can have the Clarity inside so I'll have to watch this issue in the Florida summer rain and humidity.

insightman likes this.