Clicking noise when plugging using Honda factory charger?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Olimpia, Feb 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

So I've been using both the 110V factory "charger" that came with the Clarity as well as a level 2 chargepoint station at work for charging my battery since I bought the car two weeks ago.

I noticed that when using the chargepoint level 2 station at work there are no noises coming from the car after plugging it in. However, when I'm at home using the included factory 110v level 1 charger, as soon as I plug the car I hear a "clicking" noise coming from the charger area as well as a second click coming from under the seats (happens after the first charger click) from what I'm assuming is the battery.

Is this normal? I recorded a video and uploaded to youtube:

You might need to crank up the volume all the way but after the main first click, which I consider normal since it's just the sound of securing the plug into the car's socket you can hear a click coming from the charger/port and then around the 5 second mark you can hear a click from the battery area (under the seats). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The relay in the OEM EVSE is big. It clicks loudly. I can hear it through the wall to my garage. Not sure about the second delayed click you hear from the car. I kind of get a double click, the car click being nearly instantaneous after the EVSE click. I suspect they happen at your work L2, too, but you just don't hear them over outdoor noise.

Olimpia and ClarityDoc like this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Same relay clicks in mine using the OEM charger. Perfectly normal.

Olimpia likes this.
  5. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

I believe the order of the clicks is:

1-Insertion of J1772 plug.
    2-Closing if traction battery contacts. This connects the “big” battery to the charging system.
    3-Closing of EVSE relay. Starts sending power to the charger in the car.

All normal. 2 is more noticeable because of the closed garage and smooth floor. At work, you are outside and probably on asphalt so that sound is not reflecting up as much. FWIW you can kind of feel the contacts close if you put your hand on the side of the car. It feels like someone is tapping on the car.

Olimpia, KevinW and Sandroad like this.
  6. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

Thanks for the responses!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I too have notice with the 110 volt charger cord a (relay) click in my garage and not at the outside 240 volt 32 Amp charging station at the dealer.
    My theory was also outside ambient noise is preventing me from hearing the clicks of the relays but also the higher voltage and amperage may cause those relays to click much faster and possibly have a different tonality which I am not hearing.