Clarity wheels are a bit quieter than aftermarket alloys

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by V8Power, Oct 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

We have 2 Claritys, same age and trim so they're practically identical except for colour and we swapped wheels on one of them. One car is running stock wheels & tires - Michelin Energy Saver A/S and the other has aftermarket 18" RTX aluminum wheels on the same stock tires. Driving the two, I thought I was hearing a slightly higher noise level at times on the aftermarkets but wasn't sure if it was just in my head after reading about the noise reducing resonators in the Clarity wheels. Naturally, I took my son out for two identical drives in each car to help me measure the road noise with a sound level meter and sampled the same 8 roads. Speed ranged from 10km over our driveway curb, 40 km on subdivision residential roads, 60 km on city streets and 70 km on a bigger city street. I thought this was enough to detect a difference and it was. On average, the Honda Clarity stock wheels with the integrated noise reducing resonators were 1.2 dB(C) lower. Way to go Honda!

weave, Kendalf, Numbernine and 4 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the data. Good info. I assume the tires have the same number of miles on them?

4. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Yup!

5. lessismore

lessismore Member

what about wheel alignment? the stock tires that came with the car may have an unfair advantage. just saying

KentuckyKen likes this.
  6. jesseosby

jesseosby New Member

Changing tires and/or wheels doesn't change the alignment of the suspension.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Do both cars have their rubber body plugs installed?

9. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

yes, identical

10. weave

weave Active Member

Wow. Awesome. I love the people on this group! Thanks for doing that. Good to know!

11. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Happy to help!

12. To remove this ad click here.