Clarity PHEV oil filter info

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Apr 3, 2018.

How will you handle the infrequent oil changes

1. Use the dealer

36.4%
  2. DIY using Honda filter

36.4%
  3. DIY using other brand of filter

9.1%
  4. Use non dealer mechanic

18.2%
  1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

For those of us who change their own oil (and yes we know we’re not saving much $; it’s the principle of the thing) just because it’s practically the only thing we can do on the Clarity, here is some info on oil filters. Also good for those using the dealer so you can make sure they’re using the best Honda filter and not the cheaper one.

The good news is that our Clarity ICE uses the good old tried and true Honda filter made by Filtech that virtually all Hondas use.
    Here is the difference between the 2 Honda filters available (from hands.com):
    “Honda interchanges part#15400-PLM-A01 with 15400-PLM-A02. They stock and ship both to their dealerships however the A01's are the in-demand part number for Honda filters. One major difference is the A01 filters have metal end caps inside whereas the A02 filters have cardboard.” So be sure you’re getting the A01 if using Honda filters.

Here is a comparison on the cut open filters side by side:
    09A09279-B2F2-4935-822F-AB5386F1A71C.jpeg

Filter mfgs have not yet added the Clarity to their list except for Fram that I can find. Here is the Fram # (PH7317) you can use to cross reference filters from whatever mfg you wish to use.

Please note that I am NOT recommending Fram filters. They’re just the only Mfg I could find that had the Clarity listed. I am well aware of how “passionate” (politest word I could think of) people are over oil and filters. It’s crazy. Just go to bobistheoilguy.com if you have a 1,000 hours or so to go down that rabbit hole. So please, no flames on brands.
    Ditto for oil brands. Any high quality synthetic detergent API certified 0W-20 weight oil will do. (Of course the gear heads among us “know” that we’re using the best brand and everyone else is stupid for using their brand.) LOL

And it’s a free country, so you can follow the owner’s manual or do your own thing on the change schedule. My hour meter hooked up to the ICE tells me (after 6 weeks) that even if all my ICE driving was at 70 mph, I’d still put less than 1,000 miles on the engine per year. But to avoid warranty issues, I’ll have to change it once per year. Bummer.

V8Power, Viking79 and Hobbesgsr like this.
  2. JimW

JimW Active Member

I'm sure that engine hours are stored in an OBD-II register. Has anyone tried pulling OBD-II codes from Clarity?

3. KentuckyKen

Here’s an update on the available oil filters I have found.
    While the Amsoil website does not have our Clarity listed and has not of today updated the pull down menus for 2018 Hondas, a search using the Honda part # (verified by email w tech support) shows an Amsoil EA15K13 filter fits our Clarity. Just another choice and I’ll stay out of the argument about whether it’s worth the price.

4. kkiran

kkiran Member

Looks like the first service is 9~10 months away for the 2018 Clarities. Long time unless you travel over 100 miles a day consistently.

5. clarity_18

clarity_18 New Member

my clarity pinged me this week that I'm due for my first oil change... car has about 6200 miles on it, roughly half are with the gas engine. i'll be changing the oil myself down the road, but I thought I'd bring it to the dealer for the first time. I really appreciate the info about the oil filters, i'll be sure to ask at the dealer.

6. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I've been using synthetic oil in my cars for years. My last car (2014 Camry Hybrid) required synthetic oil and recommended you change the oil at 10,000 miles or once a year. I intend to install synthetic oil and follow the 10,000 mile 1 year oil change at my first oil change. I wonder what Honda thinks of that idea.

7. KentuckyKen

Honda should not make a warranty issue of that strategy since it is following their time limit of 1 year max and the ICE usage for 10,000 total miles will be well within their milage limits that used to be listed. I suspect that the Maintenance Minder may be as erroneous as the HV range if it’s using total miles as part of its calculation.
    I drive about 10,000/yr and so far it’s 90/10 EV/HV, so ignoring the MM and going a full year will just be 1,000 actual ICE running.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I took our Clarity in for A1 service this week, five months from purchase. We have about 7K miles on the car, but very little gas engine use.