Clarity PHEV EV Range Booster

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jazdean, Jul 27, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I know that the EV range depends on various factors, including temperature, but I was shocked at the range boost after drive charging down a long grade (Mt Rainier). It’s been consistently recharging to >60 miles since then. Anyone else observed this behavior? And how????
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I hit 102 miles after descending Siskiyou Pass with a partially depleted battery. At the bottom it was 80 and after a full charge the 102 was on display.

It’s an anomaly. The estimate is based on an unspecified number of previous drives. Now it’s time to ask a few questions.
    Has your actual range increased?
    For what length of time has the display consistently shown 60+ miles?
    Have your driving habits changed recently?

A good test would be to take a drive and deplete a fully charged battery down to 2 bars to see how many miles the car will travel. In my experience 60+ miles is only obtainable at slow speeds, mostly 35mpg or less. Rush hour traffic in Southern California for example.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    Kestrel likes this.
  4. Good point, it’s probably not an actual boost and range, but an anomaly of the estimation software.

5. d99

d99 Member

I've also seen that many times after a long downhill drive. That high number will impact future numbers for a few cycles, and then the range will drop down to normal.

If you see a 66.8 mile number, on your next drive (assuming "normal conditions" , you will exhaust the battery long before you achieve anywhere near that mileage.

6. Would you be willing to answer any or all of the previously asked questions so that the rest of the class might have a better understanding of some of the particulars as they pertain to your situation?

7. To remove this ad click here.