Clarity out of stock in So Cal.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sthomasa, May 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

I've been seriously lookinh to replace my 19 base with 21 touring. Even under " Build your own", on Honda USA, not finding any.
    Anyone know whats happening? Are we orphans?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Honda of Pasadena has a 2020 touring.

Taking a shot in the dark, there was/is that pandemic thing that disrupted/is disrupting manufacturing and distribution of many products. There is apparently a chip shortage, chips needed to manufacture modern high tech automobiles. And, it is believed by some, that the Clarity is not a profitable vehicle for Honda, so what chips they can get their hands on will probably be going in vehicles that will net them a profit. There have been murmurs of lithium shortages and, say it isn’t so, increasing prices. Tesla, for example, has upped the price of the Powerwall twice in the past year, from $6500 to $7500.

There could be other reasons as well.

insightman likes this.
  4. Mmisola

Mmisola New Member

Did you try Norm Reeves in West Covina or Cerritos. I live in Pasadena and own a 2019 Clarity base model. Love to form a user group in SGV to compare notes. Lmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

I see about 6 total in so cal. Problem is, I need a bunch to get a deal. I got 6k off my 19, (some got 8k) thats before all the credits, etc.
    Yes, I want to trade to 21 for nothing. Bad me.
    And with chip, shipping etc, i doubt there will be a refresh of 21 stock.
    Looking for something else to replace but only come up with Rav4 and over msrp.
    So I wait.
    Thanks for heads up.

6. Maybe Honda has discovered a way to sell the car at MSRP. Make it unavailable.

I’m curious, what’s the attraction in trading in the 2019 for a 2021, even at no cost?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Not sure why OP wants to do it, but I would probably do it to increase the resale value of my car, since I personally might not hold this car too long.
    Though I am not sure how that is worth doing.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It certainly makes sense if @Sthomasa can pull off the goal of a no-cost trade of a used 2019 base for a new 2021 Touring.

10. I missed the “base to touring” upgrade. That would be worth the effort, even if it cost $3,000 or more.

Hell will probably freeze over first. Good luck.

11. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

I had a 2017 Accord hybrid almost out of warranty that after all the discounts, tax credits, etc was almost an even trade.
    My 19 Clarity base is a perfect car for my twice monthly long drive and local EV. With the car pool stickers and ACC, it is my main driver. I have an old highlander for Costco runs and an old MB conv. for date night.
    I'm guessing I'd get close to 20k for 19. When the dealers were loaded, 28k purchase, 9k in tax credit and rebates...even trade.
    Love the Clarity.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JCA

JCA Active Member

- Reset 3 year warranty
    - Fresh battery (traction and 12V for that matter)
    - New tires
    - New carpool stickers in CA with extended expiration
    - Feeling of getting away with something, and of trying out being a "new car often" person (I usually keep cars til there's little trade value left)

When I traded my 2019 for a 2020, it was negative cost of a couple thousand dollars. I could have gotten a Touring for close to even, but decided I really didn't want any of the features enough not to pocket the cash. Every time I have to manually move the seat, or plug in my phone to navigate, I imagine I was being paid $3k to do so and it makes it a lot more palatable :)

I'm of course not going to be upset if I can't do the same for a 2021 later this year; it's all opportunistic and based on what seems like a disconnect with the used car value being higher than it should given the new car actual price for many people.

14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Quite surprised Clarity vanished in SoCal. I moved from LA to Vegas 4 months ago. I haven't seen the first Clarity here yet, which makes me feel both unique and lonely. But to my surprise, when looking for a dealer to take my Clarity for maintenance, I found out Findlay Honda in Henderson (next to LV) has several Clarities in stock! They have been there for a while, maybe because here, just like in LA, Honda only advertises their SUVs and sometimes the Civic.