Clarity link car locator

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jim greco, Jun 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim greco

Jim greco New Member

im not sure I’m comfortable with the car locator function. We’ve lost too much privacy and was wondering if it could be disabled

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

That would assume other people can locate your car. I don't believe that is true generally.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

No one can locate your car even with their Honda Link due to the set up with pass word protection (until some hacker hits the jackpot).

I’d be more worried about location and all the other data that’s being sent to Honda as the price we pay for free Honda Link service. Basically, every single piece of data flowing over the car’s CanBus is available to Honda (and linked to your personal info), although we don’t know exactly what they are collecting. A data breach at Honda’s servers is more likely. This is born out by all the data breaches we’ve seen in the news.

Privacy is fast becoming a thing of the past with facial recognition and license plate scanners. Not to mention traffic cameras and cell phone records that can be used to track your location. Then add in voice recognition and computer key word searches on every phone call and text. And I attended a seminar that amazingly showed that anyone can track down your kid’s address and more with just a few snippets of info from what seemed to be innocuous social media posts just by using public records and data base inquiries.

George Orwell was eerily prescient. If you want to be a gray man, you’ve got your work cut out for you.

Lowell_Greenberg and coutinpe like this.
  5. Jim greco

Jim greco New Member

6. Jim greco

Jim greco New Member

Very well said. I still wish it could be disabled

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Indeed he was. There was another guy whose name I can't remember who wrote a scifi tale I read when I was a kid in the 60's called "The Chair". It was about a company who made a Chair that would satisfy every need and the solitary guy who was advocating against that staging protests in the media, sit-downs and all that stuff because, according to him, the Chair would make people dependant. In the end, the company sent him a free Chair, asking him to make his opposition to the Chair informed and based on "objective data". One week later he told the media he couldn't live without his Chair. A really prescient metaphor of our dependence on technology and what we gave away for the sake of convenience...