Clarity handling opinions.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by neal adkins, Aug 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

In some of the reviews Clarity handling was said to be clumsy. However after several trips on mountainous curvy roads i strongly disagree. I have owned sports cars and various sedans, but the clarity seems to have the smoothest and very steady cornering abilities that well compete with just about any other car i have driven. The traction and stability control with the 18in low profile wheels with resonaters lend to smooth cornering. The low center of gravity also helps keep the car from feeling clumsy on curves. The cvt transmission also enhances the feel in the curves with it's smooth response during acceleration and deceleration. Also i cant forget to mention the aerodynamics that also help stabilize the car. Anyone care to weigh in?

ClarityDoc and David A like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Even after 13,000 miles and 9 months I continue to marvel at how well the Clarity handles curvy roads. It's just so much better than a 4,000 pound car should be.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Amen, brother!
    The low enter of gravity makes for extremely low body roll when cornering this 4,000 lbs of technology. It does indeed drive more like a nimble little, dare I say, sports car than the mid size behemoth it is. I can find no fault in its handling unless you’re trying to do the 24 hours of Le Mans in it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  5. ArchdukeTyler

ArchdukeTyler New Member

I absolutely adore how the Clarity drives. The steering is absolutely effortless (and the steering wheel feels really solid), and its turning radius is shockingly good. The low center of mass has a noticeable (positive) effect on cornering, as well. I don't really know what some reviewers mean by it having "clumsy" handling.

6. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I don't find the handling clumsy, but I have noticed a little more body roll when entering the highway on-ramp, which is on a downhill, that I use regularly (this is compared to my previous vehicle the Hyundai Sonata.)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

I am surprised at what speed I can take curves, given the size and weight of the cur. I drive in hilly, curvy terrain and am very satisfied.

9. Lepori

Lepori Member

I also really enjoy using sport mode/4 regen on hilly/curvy terrain. Very smooth mostly 1 pedal driving.

Carro con enchufe likes this.
  10. Crota

Crota Member

I enjoy the handling on my Clarity. It doesn't feel bulky like I think it should and I often forget how large the car really is because of how well it handles. I read other people's review of the Clarity and get a bit upset. Like when reviews compare the Clarity as a Midsize plug-in hybrid/electric vehicle and say things like:

other midsize cars handle better
    other EVs have better range
    other plug-in hybrids are cheaper
    other cars auto drive is smarter

Even though those statements are all true...
    Comparing a baseline Honda Accord to Honda Clarity then they compare an i3 to a Honda Clarity then they compare a Prius/Volt (forgetting to talk about expiring rebates) to a Clarity then compare its ACC/LKAS to Teslas auto drive isn't quite fair.

The fact that the Clarity is in discussions across all of these categories and does a good job is a sign of how great this car is.
    Is there another Mid Size, Plug in Hybrid that can operate as an all electric and have all the features with out blowing the bank?

Okay, sorry/not sorry for my soap box rant. I enjoy the handling on my Clarity.

11. Gaylen

Gaylen New Member

I am amazed at the handling. I have owned three Porsche’s and a s2000 and I like the clarity handling better than any of them

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. neal adkins

In sport mode the regen is usually aggressive. Otherwise the regen paddle is very nice to slow the car when entering a curve.

14. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

A joy to drive. Very responsive with well-weighted steering, comfortable ride, great brakes and strong acceleration. The suspension soaks up bad roads and I've never felt it was clumsy.

15. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Congratulations Clarity, you are the most underrated car of 2018.

Even a 5.7 V8 JEEP driver was way impressed with its torquey acceleration and handling . Another guy didn't even know Honda had an electric car.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Isn't the regen level independent of which mode you're in? The way I understand it, when you use the left paddle to increase the regen, it sticks in SPORT Mode, unlike the way it shortly resets back to the lowest level of regen in ECON and NORMAL Modes.

Interestingly, while the regen level sticks in SPORT Mode, the Clarity won't stick in SPORT Mode after you power the car down. I don't see that as a big problem, but I sure wish the car would stick in HV mode if you leave it in that mode when you power the car down.

neal adkins likes this.
  17. neal adkins

There are so many subtleties about this car. I have been reading the manual and following this forum and i still learn something new every day or so. I did notice the regen had stuck when in sport mode to my lowest selection but didnt really understand it was by design. Thanks for clearing that up.

18. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I think part of the reason the Clarity doesn't get the press it deserves is that it takes some time getting used to. I rent a lot of cars during travel and most cars feel fairly similar and that makes them easy to form a fairly accurate first impression. The first time behind the wheel of the Clarity was different from anything I've ever driven. It really took me a couple of weeks to settle into the car but once I did, I love the way it drives. OK, it's not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination but it is outstanding as a "green" car. As I posted on another thread, I took it out for the first time on a really challenging mountain road with tight curves and lots of hairpin turns. The speed limit is crazy fast (55 mph when it should be 25-35 mph). Given how well it handles bumps and potholes, I thought it won't do so well on that road. I was wrong. I found it very well planted probably due to the low center of gravity of the batteries. What surprised me was how quick and precise the steering is (that's a Honda trademark these days it seems). I was careful not to push it harder because the Energy Saver tires are known to lose grip abruptly. That's the reason I'm going to high performance A/S tires next. The suspension and steering are so good, the car encourages enthusiastic driving. Unfortunately, the OEM tires are not up to the task.

neal adkins likes this.
  19. neal adkins

This is my point. I had my days of fun driving sports cars. But the clarity's performance impressed me. Even being in the conversation with the likes of a Porsche is unbelievable for a heavy sedan. One important factor I haven't yet mentioned is the powerful smooth braking system that man handles slowing and stopping the car. This has alot to do with the confidence on curvy roads.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  20. LAF

LAF Active Member

in sport mode going 20-50 mph it is more powerful than any car I have owned- which includes a 2002 Acura TL (which actually cost more at the time than this car did now after rebates and a 6 cylinder Hyundai Sonata! but also 2 Priuses so maybe I am easy to impress

21. neal adkins

I find that the robust smooth acceleration and guiet ride tricks me to think im not going very fast. I am constantly having to slow down to get back to the speed limit!

PHEV Newbie likes this.
  22. RonMertes

RonMertes New Member

When I test drove the clarity(before buying one a month later) the salesman said it handles great and had me take some quick turns etc. at first thought ‘what is this guy thinking’. I took it faster than would ever with a salesman in car. Wow was it planted and no loss of traction or tire squeal.. granted I have another sports car for fun. But I enjoy the low end ev torque and handling confidence in my new clarity.

23. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I came from a Lexus GS430 with a V8 and I find the Clarity more satisfying to drive - I’m running EV mode 99.9% of the time so far. I love the instantaneous torquey acceleration at all speeds, fast and precise braking with the regen, solid steering and the whole thing is nearly silent. All this while running insanely low $/km on electric. Wow.