Clarity AC not working

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Atul Thakkar, Jun 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Hello,
    I am from Canada and Last year my AC was working perfectly in Honda Clarity. Now in Canada we are seeing hot weather and when I turned on AC it did not work at all. Does any one facing similar issue ? My warranty is over. If any one have faced similar issue or have some suggestion , that will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sabasc likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tom H

Tom H New Member

It just happened to me yesterday on my 2018 Clarity. Hot day in MA. Took into dealer and they are looking at it but no response yet. I will update when I know more. I understand that there may be an extended warranty for 10 years on the AC by Honda. Hope it applies to US as well. I have Honda Care and the dealer service department said they were aware of the issue with the AC.

See Honda Canada has Extended the Warranty on the Air Conditioner Condenser on Certain Honda Vehicles (hondanews.ca)

sabasc likes this.
  4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Common issue if you search the forum. I found same on mine in CT a month or so ago. They inspected and said damage due to rocks. I bought the screen available online/aftermarket with smaller holes to prevent larger rocks but haven't coughed up the $1600 or so I was quoted for repair yet..

sabasc likes this.
  5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I would want to see the "rock" damage with my own eyes.
    Rock damage is certainly possible, and we know the Clarity is vulnerable (as are many other cars).

There is certainly some judgement involved in determining whether a leak was caused by a rock, or by this known defect.
    Given Honda's [now acknowledged] problems with the condensers, you should be given the benefit of the doubt.

sabasc likes this.
  6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I had wondered the same thing, but figured it didn't really matter much since I am out of warranty due to miles. Am I mistaken?

I hadn't heard of any acknowledgement, only on Civics IIRC. How would one address this skepticism anyway? Presume if they were interested in being shady they could crimp/bend a few fins and "show" the result of an impact...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

9. MrFixit

10. Tom H

Tom H New Member

Got word yesterday that they have ordered the condenser and it should be here today and installed. They did not ask if I wanted it fixed so I am guessing that it is covered. We will see later today hopefully. I mentioned that it is lots of work to replace (you have to basically remove the front end) and they said they are very good at it because they have had lots of practice.

JFon101231 and MrFixit like this.
  11. Tom H

Tom H New Member

Car delivered as promised. No charge. Works great now. Good service from Herb Chambers Honda, Burlington, MA. Attach is bill showing all the TSBs that were applied.

Attached Files:

JFon101231 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

It is interesting to see that the new condenser they used was 80110-TRW-A01.

We have seen some mixed messages on this part. There are parts sites that list this part as "Discontinued".
    Then there was an 80110-TRW-A02 that appeared, and somebody even found what looked like an aftermarket equivalent (aftermarket parts for the Clarity are virtually non-existent).

In the past, some had to wait a very long time for a dealer to obtain a replacement condenser. Yours seemed to go very smoothly.

Also, it is encouraging to see that Honda did not try to charge you for Freon, as was reported by another forum member.

JFon101231 likes this.