Child’s car seat

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Nov 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

On another site someone was asking for suggestions on a child’s car seat for an infant 6 months or older….since I’m much older than someone who would need it, does anyone have one or a suggestion that would be good for 2023 Mini?

polyphonic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I think this would be a bit of a challenge for regular baby transport. Occasionally, would perhaps be fine, but each and every day to the daycare and home again would be wearisome.

This is another good reason why the passenger seat rails need to be much longer on the forward end.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I recently watched a video on YouTube where a vlogger talked about putting a child seat in a MINI. One approach was to insert the child's seat through one of the front doors. The other approach was to insert the seat through the rear hatchback, with one of the rear seats folded down. In both cases, I was surprised that the child's car seat was anchored not with child seat latches, but with the standard MINI seatbelt.

Perhaps put the child's seat up on the roof with the dog carrier? (just kidding)

5. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

We actually near daily drive around with our now 5month old - even though we also have a Honda Fit (which has hardly gotten driven k we the last year since obtaining our Mini). We use the Graco Snugride 35 with the base and it juuust fits in its rear facing position. In the forward position, there is gobs of space. We did a 2kmi road trip in it with our kiddo in the back, no issues. We have done quite a bit of experimenting and found it’s easiest/most convenient to put her in the car seat and then put the seat through the passenger door into the back.

Lainey and GilbertW like this.
  6. GilbertW

GilbertW New Member

Just want to echo everything @DisgruntledSanta said!

We have the same Graco Snugride 35 and daily drive the SE with our now 10 month old in the backseat. I think we'll use it up until she's a year and a half or about 20 lbs, when I imagine it would be too heavy and awkward for me to regularly pull out the backseat. After a year of pushing the passenger seat back and forth, a slightly annoying thing is that it now likes to slide back in its track and I have to hold it while putting the carseat in. Also, when the child seat is rear-facing, the front passenger seat needs to sit more upright unless we rotate the carseat handle up. But my 5'3" wife likes to sit in the backseat with the baby anyways.

Also mad props for taking the baby on a 2k mile road trip in the mini... I asked wifey, but she vetoed. Fortunately baby is a great flier.

Lainey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

Oh dang, you keep the handle down? That makes for a pretty vertical seat back! We always raise it a click, which allows the seat to sit at a pretty comfortable recline. But the rear seat next to baby (now 7months! Ahh! Where does the time go…) is definitely more comfortable for longer trips for both my wife and I too (5’6”and 5’10”).

Our passenger seat slides back naturally on its own too, though I just attribute that to the slight incline our drive is on. But now that you mention it, I don’t remember it doing that when we first got it… *shrugs* certainly not too bothersome.

Yeah, now that our daughter is getting bigger, we can definitely tell. Getting her into the back is certainly a bit more cumbersome than it was. That being said, our Fit is about to go up for sale… which aught to say a bit about how bad it is to get her into the back of the mini (not bad at all).

Gotta start ‘em young on those road trips!