"Check Regenerative brakes" error after diy front brake job

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Dag Lindquist, Aug 8, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The brakes on my 2019 Kona Electric have been getting increasingly noisy. I figure that's due to a combination of living in the salt belt (northeast) along with not much brake use due to one pedal driving. Regardless, I ordered good quality pads and rotors off Amazon and swapped the fronts out this weekend, planning to do the rears next wknd. Installation was smooth with no issues - perfect fit replacements. But I had a surprise when I started the car to test my new brakes. Lots of alarms and warning lights: "Check regenerative brakes", ABS light, e-brake indicator, Stability Control lights all lit and unhappy. I've asked The Google for guidance assuming there must be some reset procedure to teach the ABS/regen/ESC systems the new normal brake pedal location due to the new pads but no luck. Has anyone dealt with this issue or done their own brake job?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You may need access to a proper scanner to recalibrate as demonstrated in this video @1:35

Maybe take it to the dealer to have this done?

Dag Lindquist likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I've had front brakes apart a couple of times [even written up by now] but never actually replaced
    any pads/rotors. I did push the pistons back a little to make reassembly easier, but no
    complaints from the car. I would give it a couple of drive cycles and make sure you bed those
    new pads correctly anyway, by doing a few hard but smooth slowing events IN NEUTRAL to
    make sure regen isn't helping, let the hydraulics adjust their null position and the car to
    reboot a few times, and see if that shuts it up. Unless you omitted something critical,
    I would expect this to be easily fixable.

Were your old pads in that bad shape? It took like 12 years for me to be even a little bit
    concerned about the fronts in the Prius, and I had put those suckers through hell in
    the mountain roadtrips.

_H*

5. Replacing the brake fluid is a job I need to tackle soon. The dealer has done a good job for minimal dosh in the past but I'm concerned now that they'll put an end to the lifetime record I'm trying to set with my OEM 12V battery.

With the car "off" the brake system appears to default to conventional legacy plumbing. At the conclusion of a simple flush, I'd expect that if the pedal height was re-established before the Kona was powered-up again, the system would pass the ABS self-check none-the-wiser.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    electriceddy and Dag Lindquist like this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wait, based on the "Check regenerative brakes" error message I'm wondering if you messed with the hydraulic brakes or the regenerative brakes? ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's all connected since the foot pedal is one way of initiating and controlling regen in H/K EVs, during which time pedal resistance is simulated hydraulically by an electrically-driven cylinder.

Regen is always used when foot braking instead of the disks, except when driving at very low speeds, when in Neutral or if the traction battery is at 100% charge.

I know Tesla does not have this feature and if I'm not mistaken, nor does Mini.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I considered the word "regenerative" in the warning message to be misleading because the OP did nothing to disturb the regen part of the braking process. Can't the Kona differentiate between a problem with regen braking vs a problem with hydraulic braking rather than lumping both kinds of problems into a single, less-definitive warning message?

electriceddy and Dag Lindquist like this.
  10. It’s not unusual in any car for one problem to cause error messages from dependent systems.

11. Thanks for the video @electriceddy. I borrowed a Foxwell NT630Plus scanner tool that supports ABS functions. With that there’s a pad change function that fully retracts the rear parking brake actuators. I’ll use this when I change the rear pads and rotors. That function, however, did not clear the check regen error I was getting but after trying everything else, I just cleared all code errors and then everything was back to normal. Whew! It makes sense that the ABS, Stability Control and Regen functions all what to know where the brake pedal is relative to when the pads start to engage the rotors but I still don’t understand what the feedback mechanism is.

JoeS and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Here's my $0.02 worth.
    There is a motor-driven hydraulic cylinder that provides a power assist function to the pedal under friction braking, but also provides pedal resistance under regen, aided by a mind-bending arrangement of solenoid and check valves,

I'm assuming you've powered-up the car with the caliper pistons retracted somewhat, placed out of their normal short reach to the pads and disks.

On power-up self-test, like other ABS systems the pump activates to contact the disks and establish or verify the working range. If the power cylinder reaches the end of its travel, or at least exceeds the travel it expects to use it could fail the test. A traditional ABS pump on an ICE car is a vane type that has no limit to the fluid volume it can move, but not in this case. I suspect (well, I'm certain) that a ball-screw driven cylinder pump is used because the relationship between motor torque and fluid displacement is linear and bidirectional, with low hysteresis.

Once the piston is sensed to move further than expected, ABS and all related brake functions are going to fail their initialisation tests and the system will default to what they call "backup operation", emulating a conventional non-boosted hydraulic brake system.

I haven't tried this yet but I would expect that after flushing the system or replacing/cleaning pads and disk, you should pump up the pedal slowly before power-on. Until I understood how it reacts, as a precaution I would probably disconnect the 12V battery while working on the brakes.

upload_2023-8-12_8-34-45.png

upload_2023-8-12_8-35-43.png

Psymin, JoeS, electriceddy and 2 others like this.
  14. Excellent information, thanks KiwiME!

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.