Check EV System, car won't start - 2021

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Joe V, Mar 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Joe V

Joe V New Member

Hyundai Kona EV 2019 - 22k miles, never had any problems before.

The battery charged overnight as usual. This morning, upon starting the "Check EV System" indicator comes on and stays on. The car won't go into Drive gear.

I received the battery fire hazard recall fix a few weeks ago.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Quite common.
    There's another thread in this somewhere; active in the last few weeks - I can't find it though.
    Anyone?

Joe V likes this.
  4. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Joe V likes this.
  5. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Check 12V battery or try to use external power bank. Should fit.

6. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. This is Kona's equivalent of the blue screen of death. The car is effectively software locked. It implies your car has failed its new BMS battery check routine and it believes there is fault with the traction battery. Typically it results in a car out of commission for several weeks until a new battery pack arrives although some dealers like in my case have just reflashed the BMS software and told folks to have a nice day.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    KiwiME likes this.
  9. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Just be careful. It could be looked at the Kona's Blue screen of death but we know the potential fires that are the resultant threat. I also agree that it is likely an indicator that it failed the BMS test. We don't want to hear about you in the news.

BC-Doc, apu and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  10. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Honestly, if I were to get that error , given the battery fire issue , I'd be parking it at the dealer. I wouldn't want to be a statistic while they drag their heels on fixing it. Myself its no biggie, but I'm still not comfortable with the wife driving the Kona, as much as I like it.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. The problem is when the dealer espouses his gospel truth that things are fixed you can't help but feel he is the expert and probably has a good grasp on things. I now know that at least to some extent they have no clue or are keeping information so tight to their chest that they frankly appear deceptive.
    I was given no information why my car bricked(to their credit they probably didn't know). When I asked my service advisor and manager if will happen again they sheepishly acknowledged "probably". Its been 2 months since I got the car back fortunately its has not bricked again or caught on fire, so that's good. Since that time I have learned that my car should have had "additional repairs" and not just clearing code P1AA600 as per Hyundai's recall TSB in the US. It may very well be a different process in Canada, I really don't know. No one will tell me.

Despite going through Canadian recall 175 for the BMS upgrade I don't seem to qualify for the most recent battery replacement recall and no one can tell me why my car was so very worrisome a couple of months ago but now not so much. I have written to Hyundai Canada with my frustrations but with no reply in the past 2 weeks I am loosing faith there. I will likely file a formal complaint with Transport Canada as I don't actually believe( at least with the little information I have been provided) that recall 175 was appropriately completed /managed by my dealer or Hyundai/ HYTAC. Realistically I have little faith here either. In the meantime here is hoping my car doesn't light up a jobsite or one of my coworkers vehicles. Man that would be so embarrassing. Meh, it will be fine...I think :)

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

^^^^
    I'm not sure how happy insurance will be , if it catches fire and the mfg is aware of the risk.

14. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear.. That sucks.. Hope that they will provide a EV loaner but that's probably wishful thinking... I just rolled 47k miles today and still zero issues..

Joe V likes this.