Charging won’t start light stays white

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by PGKona, Jan 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PGKona

PGKona New Member

We have a home ChargePoint charger, recently we have been having issues where we plug the car in and you can hear clicking like it is connecting with the brains of the car but then charging does not start. Often we can simply remove the charger connection and replug it into the car and the light goes green and charging begins. Sometimes it takes several tries of unplugging and replugging in to the car and away it goes. We are not sure if the problem is with the car or the chargepoint charger but have read the charger manual and it all seems to be working correctly - correct indicator lights etc. Have tried starting from the Bluelink app, no go, tried starting from the ChargePoint app and it says connection failed. Have seen one post on the internet (not our post) describing all the same things we are experiencing that was asking if anyone had any suggestions and no one replied. Has anyone on Inside EV experienced this? Was it the car or the charger?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PGKona

PGKona New Member

Just adding that we have now had our car 4 years, 2019 Ultimate. We are very familiar with charging - not a newby. Also we have had our big battery replaced with the battery recall and the problem with the charging not starting has only been happening since after the big battery was replaced. I suspect the car and am ready to book appt at the dealership but often find that we know more than they do - thanks in large part to the experience of all of the posters on the Kona EV forum here!

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I would first try a similar ChargePoint public EVSE and see if the same results occur to eliminate the obvious. I don't think the dealership would have more insight than you unless that issue has been addressed in some update format, which I have not heard of any.

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  5. You can also try your level 1 charger the one that came with the car from Hyundai to see if that initiates the charge.

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  6. Hi i had the same problem found i needed to trim a small part of the top of the bottom rubber plug as it was under the flange on the charging plug stoping it going in the last 1/16 inch jim

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That’s what I did recently to determine that the fault was with my Grizzl-e charger (which they replaced for me).

9. PGKona

PGKona New Member

Thanks everyone. Tried the level 1 charger and it connected immediately, tried a level 2 public charger (BC Hydro as there are no ChargePoint public chargers here) and again it worked no problem. Pretty much narrows it down to the cable/nozzle - they are back order …. Good thing there are lots of public charging options.

Thanks again - appreciate this forum so much!

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.