Charging time

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by PFGD, Nov 20, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PFGD

PFGD New Member

Not sure our Niro is charging as fast as it should be able to… on a level 3 with 100 kWh capacity it only seems to charge at 40 kWh so it would take over an hour to fully charge.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. shepdave

shepdave New Member

With my 2022 Niro EV, I generally get about 50-75kw at most 150 kw DCFC stations. On a recent trip, it took me about 45 minutes or so to get from 28% to 80%, but that was at a 50kw EVGo.

4. PFGD

PFGD New Member

Thanks very much - good to know. There may be something wrong with ours!

5. As a note you really can't just apply a sample of the rate over the entire range and assume a total time. The curve is highly variable by SoC and temperature dependent.
    https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/205694717-How-fast-can-my-vehicle-charge-

insightman likes this.
  6. PFGD

PFGD New Member

Thanks very much, yes, we’re aware that colder temperature makes for slower charging and we are at around zero centigrade these days in Ottawa.but we are only getting a 40 kWh speed with battery conditioning on. Could be a problem at -20!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

I've only taken occasional trips in my Niro, however. I was able to charge at 60KW in the freezing cold last February, at 11PM in the snow in the dark. I went North this past weekend, was only able to charge at 40-43KW, it was around 50F outside daytime sunny. First stop on the way up in Payson, just grabbed 30 minutes, while shopping at the plaza, it never got over 40-43. Drove around quite a bit while there, so up to Show Low EA station, plan was from around 10% up to 75. While at the station someone pulled up in a Benz to the 350 station, charged and left way before I finished. I was a little irritated, I was expecting a 30-45 min stop, it ended up being an hour. In the past I've had a slow ramp up, peaking 65-70, dropping at 75% down into the 50s's and gradually down into the 15's at 85%. This was like a sweet spot when traveling, about 40-50minutes. This time I dropped to 15KW well before my 75% target. I cut it off at just under one hour around 60%, I really only needed 50% to get home, but wasn't sure if we were going to drive around any more before we left. I hit the EA in Payson on the way home for 20 minutes while we ate some lunch. It never got over 40, but I charge with solar at home, and I had to work Monday, so I wanted to be able to drive a bit more before charging again. it was around 50-60F outside, very pleasant day. I'm not sure what's going on, but something changed.

9. PFGD

PFGD New Member

Thanks Keith. Very helpful to have data from others on charging speeds. I’m thinking of asking Kia to confirm what charging speed we should expect at what temperatures. I know it’s not straightforward but they should be able to tell us what we can expect and if we’re not getting it then maybe there is something wrong with car. If anyone has info on what the charging time is supposed to be , what is advertised- let me know!

10. Hoodoo_operator

Hoodoo_operator New Member

Did you try this at multiple chargers?

It's very common for a charger to lower it's charge speed if it's damaged or malfunctioning. This has been well documented at Electrify America chargers specifically, which will de-rate to 40 kW when the temperature sensor in the cable is broken.

Keith Smith likes this.
  11. PFGD

PFGD New Member

Hi - thanks, yes, we have tried a few different ones including ones which we are pretty sure are working properly. What charging speed do you usually get?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Oh my, I will keep an eye out in the future, this actually makes sense.