Charging the Mach E at a Tesla Magic Dock equipped Supercharger

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by andyG59, Oct 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sharing my experience with charging our Mach E at one of the Tesla V3 Supercharger locations (Brewster NY) on a trip last month. As some may know, this was one of the first 12 Supercharger sites equipped in March 2023 with the 'Magic Dock' CCS adapter. I am looking forward to if/when we are able to buy an adapter from Ford and get full access the V3 Superchargers on the Tesla network. Note to self, even with jumping on the wifi at the Sherwin Williams shop in the Plaza and going inside to get a better signal, it took about 15 minutes to install the Tesla app and create an account in order to be able to charge there. It would have been better had I done that in advance.

At the site, I first tried the one spot with a side dispenser, which apparently is not working at the moment as the app did not have an option to unlock the adapter for that space. Fortunately this location was not too busy as most of the eight dispensers were available when I arrived. I moved to the other end and had to park, IMG_3584.JPG at a slight angle and overhang the curb in order for the 6' supercharger cable to reach the Mach E charge port. This effectively blocked one dispenser while I was using the supercharger intended for the next space. The connection and handshake only took maybe 5 seconds and the rest of the charging session went fine. IMG_3585.JPG

While Ford has stated we will be able to charge directly through Fordpass, at other networks I use the charging network app because that is what I am used to, it often enables a handshake that is completed while I am moving the cable from the dispenser to plug in at the charge port, and has a lower cost per kWh (for example Electrify America Pass+).

This was a curiosity and convenience stop as I had enough electrons to reach my destination and was along an alternate route. Still, I was there longer than planned talking to a curious Tesla owner who did not know this is a Magic Dock location.

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What was the max kW you saw coming from the Supercharger?

4. Honestly, I was not watching very close and was talking to another driver most of the time that I was charging. A couple of minutes in I did notice 84 kW (at 71%) showing on the app.

insightman likes this.