Charging speed after battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rybot, May 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rybot

Rybot New Member

Hi all,

Long time reader - first time writer.

In recent history I have been in contact with Hyundai Australia regarding my 2019 Kona Electric to ascertain whether after battery replacement they would be updating the software on my vehicle again in order to remove the two ten minute charging pauses at 80% and 90% SOC. Customer Care was willing to say yes over the phone but when challenged to place such details in writing, information has been less than forthcoming (as is to be expected when you're pressing your consumer rights). Through numerous phone calls with customer care, battery replacements in Australia are commencing anytime between the start of June and "at minimum, three months time" depending on which customer care member you speak to - yet again, nothing in writing.

The dealership service department on the first call offered to replace the 12v battery free of charge should they be able to identify a fault with it which provided nothing but decent comedic relief. By the third call, the dealership finally became aware that a recall had actually been issued for my vehicle. No help here...

Just wondering if anyone had received any information as to whether the charging logic will stay the same as after the first recall or whether it will be restored to its original charging logic once the battery has been replaced.

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That seems to be the last thing anyone is worrying about at this point.

There are lots of owners in the same situation who are patiently waiting for their respective Hyundai importer to sort this recall, and it will get done. If you feel your car is not "fit for purpose" write a formal email to the dealer you purchased it from and ask for a refund.

4. I tried to get some commitment from Hyundai Oz back in early March. They basically gave me the "3 months" story back then. I suspect that there aren't enough spare battery packs to get the job done globally and that they'll focus on Korea, the US and the UK before Oz.
    like KiwiME, that's something I'll look at once they replace the pack.

5. It's certainly fair to assume that Hyundai are unlikely to have kept 80,000 packs in stock in case those cars in the global fleet needed replacement. The way I see it you can either live with the 90% limitation for the interim period or not. If you can, then just wait patiently for them to respond. If you can't, the car is unfit for the purpose it was sold for and our respective countries have legal processes to deal with that.
    In NZ about 400 cars are affected yet there have been almost no complaints from Kona owners who are members of our two relevant FB groups.

Hyundai NZ responded to media questions 2 weeks ago, here's the article.

Orchardman and syntaxfx like this.
  6. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I get what your saying ...and you say respective countries have legal processes. But here is something I just learned in Canada, there is an arbitration process but after 3yrs 60,000km, im SOL...that's my biggest fear, they drag this out and I could be at their mercy of whatever they want offer me. I have a 19 , over 2yrs old and already at 40,000km. And no they don't have 80,000 packs available and if they did, what is more profitable putting them in a brand new spanking vehicle or taking a loss warranty them. It is to their advantage, to drag this out and that is what their doing imo because they've known about it for quite awhile. It's common knowledge the biggest hiccup in ev production is acquiring the batteries, if it were not I'm sure Tesla would be pumping out millions and millions of cars to sell.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. But doesn't the 2019 have a lifetime battery warranty? It does in the U.S.

9. Shark

Shark Active Member

The link seems to be faulty.

10. Only U.S. models came with a life time battery warranty.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  11. Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.