Charging question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Glenn Gore, Apr 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

I have a new RWD long-range Ioniq 5 and absolutely love it. My electrician installed my new JuiceBox Level 2 charger today and it works perfectly.

My question has to do with charging percentages and the corresponding miles of range I am getting. I currently have the car set to max charge of 80% on both AC and DC and it is reporting 185 miles of range when it is at the pre-set level of 80%. The car has a 303-mile range with the long-range battery and 185 miles is only actually 60% of 303 miles. Am I missing something or is there something wrong with the charging limits function of the car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Your Guess-O-Meter (GOM) is protecting you. It doesn't know if your current excursion will encounter extreme headwinds or include a climb up Pikes Peak. If neither of those impediments to range occur, I'm certain you could exceed the 185 miles your GOM is predicting. The last thing Hyundai's engineers and lawyers want is for the GOM to make you overconfident and cause you to pass up a charging station that could have prevented you from becoming stranded with an exhausted battery.

4. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

I understand, and do appreciate that the car is erring on the side of caution. However, I did run the car down to 1% the other day to see what would happen and got the usual warnings about range and battery and those did occur after only 185 miles. The trip was on regular flat terrain and no head or tailwinds. I was not willing to drive another 50 miles at the time to see how much farther I could go, though.

I did test the range recently when I ran into a situation where I stopped to charge with only 34 miles of range left, 38 miles to the nearest charger, and neither of the charger units at the location I was at would work. They would not work because of the Ioniq 5's being able to accept more power than the chargers at that location could provide, according to the person at Francis Electric tech support. They need a software update. Anyway, I decided to just go ahead and try my luck with the 38 miles, and I made it, driving 55 mph and arrived with a stated 1% battery and 1 mile of range left, so the Ioniq 5 is indeed capable of going beyond what it is telling you.

I just think it's a bit odd that the car is only predicting a little over 50% of its range is equal to 80% that it can be set to. That is a rather huge difference in my opinion. Maybe it is still learning my driving habits, etc.

5. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

GOM is based off of your last 60 miles or so driving. Do a lot of city driving and your GOM will probably go to 350.
    Forget the GOM and just pay attention to your battery percentage IMO.

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  6. Bommai

Bommai New Member

I have the SEL RWD model and I limited my charging to 80% and it is saying 260 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

That’s the model I have

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. michael-in-raleigh

michael-in-raleigh New Member

SE rwd at 80% also seeing 260, after 2 months of 80% city miles

10. ITown

ITown Active Member

If you do a lot of freeway driving at 75 mph or run climate control heavily, you won't get a 300 mile range, and as a result, 80% of battery won't give you 240 miles.

@Glenn Gore, what's your average consumption (miles / kwh or wh/mile) when driving?

11. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

It’s a steady 3.2. I don’t do a lot of City driving. I live in a small town, so most of my trips are 20-40 miles to larger cities and towns nearby, so that is probably having a big effect on what I am seeing. This is a whole new experience for me and I am having a blast learning everything. I absolutely love this car and everyone who rides in it does as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bommai

Bommai New Member

My consumption says 4.2 miles per kwh. If I push it a lot, it comes down to 3.9. I drive in eco mode most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. ITown

ITown Active Member

Your consumption explains a lot. The Ioniq 5 has a 77 kWH battery. If you get 3.2 miles/kWH, that's 77 x 3.2 = 239 mile range at 100% charge.

80% of 239 = 191 which is very close to the 185 mile range you mentioned getting.

Your use of climate control may be impacting your consumption; or, your driving speed is. I'm not sure which it is, but if you drive without heating/AC, and limit yourself to driving at 65-70 mph I'm pretty sure you will see your vehicle range increase. That's not to say you ought to do this, but these kinds of things do impact range significantly.

15. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I have an SEL, AWD and so far most of my driving has highways. I have the AC charger limit set to 90%. Topped it off last night and woke this morning to a 90% range of 256. However, I think this is very weather (temperature) dependent. A month ago, when nighttime temps were averaging in the low 30’s, I was getting a 90% charge around 225. Last night the low was 45 degrees.

16. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

We just enjoyed a weekend in Oklahoma City, doing a lot of city driving and using I-Pedal all the time, with a total of 250 miles over the entire trip, 100 miles to/from each way and 50 miles in-city driving. After getting used to the function, how it works, and how to feather the accelerator for proper timing of the stop, I have to say that that is almost the best feature of the car. Never having to use your brakes is a great feeling.

This and the city driving has raised my average mi/hto 4.2, so when I plugged in the car when we got home yesterday, after charging overnight, it now reports 210 mi range at 90% charge, which is significantly better. It’s still 93 miles short of the theoretical 303 miles at 100% charge but I can live with this. It looks like I had not given the GoM enough time to come up with a more accurate reading, plus the fact that the vast majority of my driving time up til now has been on highways with speeds of 65-70 mph.

The car’s estimate of the difference in range from using climate or not using it has become much smaller than it initially was. This is probably reflecting the better idea of how I am using the car.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs