Charging issues

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by M. Shah, Jun 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

I usually charge my car at home in the night if I need juice and at work in the morning. My round trip commute is 32 miles. Last night I plugged the car in around 10:00 PM with about 5 miles of EV left. My timer is set to charge at 11:00PM. I got an alert in the night that the car was unable to start charging. In the morning I noticed that the GFCI was tripped. It was working when I plugged the car in at 10:00PM. Something caused the GFCI to trip. I reset it and the car charged ok. After getting to work I plugged in the car as I always do to charge and the car refuses to charge. I removed the timer, held down the charge button on the keyless and also tried the app. The car refuses to charge and is blinking green. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer soon but thought if someone else had the same issue they might be able to help!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

If you are using the same EVSE cable at work then it could be a problem with your cable. Find a nearby charging station and try charging there.

4. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

MY EVSE is at home. I have L2 chargers at work and tried 2 different ones with same result.

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Try disconnecting the negative cable to the 12v battery for a few minutes to reset the computers in the vehicle. That might work.

6. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

I will try that. My concern is why did it trip the GFCI. Nothing else was plugged in the wall and it was in the middle of the night. If there is an electrical gremlin I might as well get it documented at the dealer. THe car is under 2 months old and has 1750 miles.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I've had my home GFCI's trip for no known reason... even had them trip on circuits with no load at all.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

I've seen lots of reports on plug-in forums of charging issues with GFCI receptacles; they can be very picky. Other issues with public chargers also can send the car into a charge fault mode. I personally would do a hard reboot (disconnect the neg. cable at the 12v battery with a 10mm wrench for a few minutes) first to see if that clears things up before taking it in.

10. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

The car just started charging itself without me doing anything. Weird but it works.