Charging History

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by BrokeBoater, Jun 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Is there somewhere that I can get the charging history of our 2023 Kona. By charging history, I mean in kwh for each charging event. I know the occasional time we level 3 charge, the L3 provider texts me that information, but I would like to have that when using our L1 granny charger at home or our daughter's L2 charger in Vancouver.
    I currently do the calculation manually based on percent increase in charge, which is not especially accurate
    I am running the May 2023 entertainment system update

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There is no dash reading of AC energy per charge nor OBD-readable data that anyone has discovered so far. For Level 1 the easiest solution is to use a WiFi smart plug device like those sold by TP-Link and others. I have tested the TP-Link Kasa HS110 and it's quite accurate as regards energy usage but inconveniently the reading rolls over at midnight. It might be possible to set a different time zone and avoid that issue. Also, in general avoid using the smart plug timer to terminate the charge session as it's hard on the relay; let the EV take it down gracefully.

Level 2 options are more limited if the charger is not equipped with a readout. All you can really do easily is multiply time(h) x current x volts / 1000.

4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The following data are available via the OBD port (At least on my 2020, via the Car Scanner app)

[BMS] Cumulative charge current (Note: in Amp-Hours)
    [BMS] Cumulative discharge current (Note: in Amp-Hours)
    [BMS] Cumulative energy charged
    [BMS] Cumulative energy discharged
    [BMS] Accumulated quick charging energy
    [BMS] Accumulated normal charging energy
    [BMS] Number of standard charging
    [BMS] Number of quick charging

It does not store a history of each individual charging event - you'd have to do your own logging for that. However it's at least plausible that you could take readings before and after each charge and calculate it.