Charging funkiness

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Genevamech, Dec 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I've been getting notification e-mails that my charging is complete periodically this morning and decided to investigate. I have a TED2000 home energy monitor installed in the main panel which records the power and voltage of the entire house, plus the Chargepoint EVSE has its own data logging so I can see what the car itself is doing separately.

Here's the TED2000 data, which I annotated the blue line (Power, in KW - red line is system voltage). Red marks along the bottom are times I received "Charging Complete" e-mail notifications, time based on the e-mail timestamps.

ChargeHistory.png

Now here's the data from the Chargepoint EVSE, zoomed in a bit so the 1AM charge complete event is just off the left edge:

Chargepoint.png
    So while the Chargepoint logging doesn't seem to have the time resolution needed to catch every instance, the car is clearly pulling power for short bursts every half hour or so.

The TED2000 logs two hours worth of second-resolution data. Examining this, I found one matching spike at around 4:30 which was 150W for 2 seconds, then 350W for another 2 seconds. There was also another spike at 2400W for 3 seconds (!?) at 4:59:17 which corresponds with the Chargepoint spike at that same time, though Chargepoint only registers 140 watts at that spike. No idea what that's about but it's hard to believe that timing is pure coincidence! It's also been half an hour since and I haven't gotten another "charging complete" notification.

What I know about the state of the car itself:
    • Charging is set by the car to happen between 12AM and 6AM (Actual charging occurred between 12AM and 1AM)
    • I have a preheat scheduled to have the car warmed up by 7AM
    • It's currently below freezing outside - about 27F (~ -3C)
    My thought is these power spikes are related to the system waking up periodically due to the timer, but it could also be related to the cold temperatures (as far as I know, my 2020 SEL does not have a main battery heater, but this could be related to 12V battery maintenance if it's a temperature thing...)

It might also be related to what's going on in this thread which also seems to be having short spikes of power draw.

Such mystery..!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Do we really need endless individual threads with the same 6 people talking charging minutiae in every one of them?

Fastnf and kinki like this.
  4. Since the car is charging correctly this seems more of an academic curiosity rather than a problem such as Toolmaker is dealing with.
    We know the Kona is going to wake up now and again to do stuff. With an EVSE plugged-in it's certainly fair game to check that out. In doing so it's certain that the car acknowledges its presence and needs to sample the Control Pilot duty cycle to determine the charging current available, which I think is how it figures out whether the EVSE is a station or portable, and what to display as the remaining time for charging up to the preset % limit. It could do that check without entering charging mode and actually drawing current, but perhaps it does anyway to verify if it's actually "live".