Charging concern?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Feb 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

So I have installed two dedicated circuits in my garage. Both 20 amp. A 120 volt, and a 240 volt.

I have the factory charger on the 120 volt, and the 240 is available for when I need a faster charge with my Zencar charger.

The factory charger charges from a depleted battery in about 12.5 hours.
    The Zencar 120 volt charger charges from a depleted battery in about 8.5 hours.
    The Zencar 240 volt charger, as I was testing last night, charged from a depleted battery to 95% in 4 hours.

Why would it stop, according to the HondaLink app to only 95%? Is it just a coincidence that this was the first time my using more than 120 volt?

I plugged in the factory charger and it topped off to 100% in about half hour.

Thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you try restarting charging with the Zencar to top off your charge before you went back to the Honda EVSE?

5. David in TN

From HondaLink, yes; however, it didn't do anything...and I didn't pay attention to see if there was a fault light or anything before I unplugged the Zencar charger (the lights on the control box were face-down.)

6. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Strange. Has this (charge stopping on its own with the OEM EVSE) happend before? I guess next time see if there was a fault showing on the 240v EVSE or maybe an error code on your dashboard? Btw, looking at your photo: Can I suggest that you secure your OEM EVSE control box to your wall so it doesn't put to much stress on your outlet. I have found that hanging things off the outlet will wear it out. I use steel pins (thru the two slots) in lieu of screws for easy removal from the wall.

Opps, just blew up your photo, never mind ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bfd

bfd Active Member

If it happens again, you might try just unplugging the EVSE (from the car, not the wall) and see if that 'adds' any juice. There've been times when I see a "full" battery that the app says is at 99%, 98%, never 95%, though. I've always chalked it up to inaccurate measurement - and 1-2% error where I work would be seen as normal - LOL - 5%, though, not so much (though still good enough for an "A").

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd worry about it unless it gets worse. The car is very picky about how fast it charges when the battery gets near full. It may have had trouble getting the 240V charger to turn down the current and just said I'm done. I have seen a few times 98% or 99% at full charge from 240V dual Chargepoint chargers at work. I have a Volt and it will always charge some more from a 120V charger (a mile or two) after the 240V charger cuts off. I have just discovered that the Clarity is so picky about charge rate when full that even on flat ground after charging and using the battery a mile or so, the car can turn on the ICE when decelerating very much at all (I had read that in the forum posts, but assumed it was just going down hills right after a full charge when the battery was already fully charged). I can only assume that is similar to what is happening here. I'm thinking that rather than change my driving habits that I will try to remember to stop charging somewhere around 90% as often as I can so that the car isn't so picky about recharge rate at the beginning of the drive.