Charging Anomalies

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Wildeyed, Aug 29, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. After more than 4 years of flawless behaviour my charging has gone a bit wonky lately.

On two occasions my scheduled charging (to 80%) has initiated properly but has stopped short at 70% both times. I get a Blue Link notification that my scheduled charging has finished... it has not. Then I am unable to remotely reinitiate the charge in order to finish and Blue link tells me it's because it thinks that maybe a door is open. It's not.

On another occasion the car took it upon itself to ignore the scheduled charge and initiated a charge immediately upon plugging it in. This has literally never happened before.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this behaviour? Any ideas about how to reset things?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There have been a lot of reports of charging issues lately on newer Konas and it seems that most are solved with a 'BMS update'. But the last update I got for my 2019 was when the traction battery was replaced so I don't know if another one is needed.
    There is a reset button on the media unit but I'm unsure how much that does. Worth a try perhaps.

Wildeyed likes this.
  4. I decided to do a little investigating after this most recent incident. It appears that Blue Link was actually misinforming me about the cars' status. While it said the charging was complete it was displaying charging info that indicated that charging was incomplete. I decided to go out and check the car in person. It showed that the charging level and range projection was indeed complete. So it appears to be (another) Blue Link shortcoming. The other glitch, where it ignored scheduled charging, now seems easier to overlook. The three-time trend suddenly felt more like a one-time hiccup. Phew!

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Glad to hear it wasn't a problem with the car/control issue.
    I never trusted that Blue Link after it told me doors were locked (when they were not) on my original Kona EV, which is why I never enabled it on my 21 MY.
    This is my go to method as well;)