Charged by Chevrolet - EV Charger installation experience

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by greyshep, Jul 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. greyshep

greyshep New Member

Hey all. New to the forum. We recently purchased a Bolt EUV and are really enjoying it. As I am sure many of you are aware Chevrolet has a "free" EV home charger install included with any new Bolt purchase.

We are going thru that process now and I am curious as to the experience others have had in this regard.

Our install is pretty straightforward as our electrical panel is easily accessible in our basement and the access into our attached garage where we want the charging plug installed is not very far and also relatively easy to access.

Having said this, the contractor that Chevrolet is using for this claims that basically no installs fit the "standard" definition that Chev has laid out, so they are telling us that it is going to be over $2000 to do the install. Chev covers a maximum of $1500 for the installs that are considered non standard.

How is everyone elses experience been? Is this electrical contractor gouging here or has Chev actually setup a situation where they are well below the actual cost of these installs?

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Length of run? Also for most of their standard Installs GM is usually just installing a 240V Plug for use of their dual level EVSE not hard wiring a new EVSE.

If you have concerns talk to QMERIT they are the ones GM is working with that approve of the local installers.

4. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

No way it should lbe $2000. It cost me less than $500, not including the charger itself. I had a very long run, over 60 ft from my panel to the garage. Even $1500 sounds high to me. Its inevitable that you need a breaker, and the wire from the panel to the location in question, plus the socket for the charger. Maybe a few other odds and ends lhat don't cost that much. Labor possible 3 hours, and unlikely to be more than half a day. The permit should be easy and you can do it yourself. If you end up digging a trench outside, then that is another matter.

5. greyshep

greyshep New Member

I measured and the panel is 45ft of total run between where they would be installing the plug and the panel. This length accounts for all turns, etc. Definitely no trenching required. Easy access thru the rafters of my basement to the garage common wall.

They are supposed to be installing a 14-50 plug and of course a breaker in the panel. So the only other major supply item would be the wiring. Here is the full quote:

Quote Amount: $1,854.50
    Electrical Permit fee: $120.00 Price
    Includes as per Specifications, Drawings, and Addendums:
    Price Includes:
    SUPPLY AND INSTALL
    1 – NEMA 14-50R RECEPTACLE IN GARAGE
    1 - 4 11/16’’ JUNCTION BOX
    1 – 4 11/16’’ RECEPTACLE COVER PLATE
    SUPPLY AND INSTALL 6/3 TECK CABLE
    SUPPLY AND INSTALL 1 – 2POLE 40A BREAKER
    Price Excludes:
    Any engineering or utility fees, costs associated with design change
    Fire-stopping
    Concrete, cutting, trenching, coring, excavating, backfill, sand, gravel, asphalt, painting, patching, sealing, compacting
    Drywall repair work of any kind.
    GST 5% (this is our sales tax)
    QMERIT 12.99% (I have no idea what this is but thats an ugly charge if true)

Assuming this mysterious QMERIT percentage is true, that will put me well above $2300 after all taxes and fees. My portion would end up being around $800 for a "free" level 2 plug install.

6. greyshep

greyshep New Member

Less than 50 feet. I am glad you brought up QMERIT, I have been scratching my head on the quote I listed above as it seems to imply a 12.99% tax for whoever that is.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. btw you need to know what gauge of wire they are running that will eat up a lot of the cost especially if you are future proofing for more powerful chargers in the future.

Edit: NVM I see 6/3 wire. That can cost between 4 to 5 $ a foot.

greyshep likes this.
  9. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I assume, of course, you are going to obtain more than one quote? So, GM is paying $1500, and you are paying the balance? Will GM accept another installer? Why GM wants to run such a program I don't know. It can't be cost effective, but I guess some people think its a good deal for them. Also, this does not include the cost of the charger either?

10. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

QMERIT seems to be some company that is involved in EVs. I suspect the installer is paying them a referral fee. Maybe this company is on board with GM.

11. QMERIT certifies electricians for EV installation and provides scoring.

https://qmerit.com/energy-transition-leaders/

When you request an install from GM it goes through QMERIT to registered and certified local installers.

greyshep likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. greyshep

greyshep New Member

I didnt see any option to obtain my own quote. The Chev site kicks off the process and the electrician contractor company then reaches out. I would assume that if I wanted to go my own way, Chev would not get involved or provide any cost assistance. With the cost of this whole thing its making me think I could probably come pretty close in my cost by contacting a friend who is an electrician.

I'm finding the whole experience with this charger promotion pretty frustrating. They really shouldnt call it a home charger install in the first place. All they are doing is providing the means to plug a charger into that would be capable of level 2 charging at home. I guess that doesnt fit the marketing speak though.

14. GM Provides you with a dual level EVSE capable of 7.2 kW when plugged into a 240V outlet with the 2022 Bolt.

15. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

My experience reading on here over the last few years is that the cost to install is often as much as 2k, but if you have a tame electrician, then it can be done for much less. With GM involved its a rats' nest. Its like buying an insurance policy to have your hair cut. If GM is paying for the device, AND you only have to stump up a few hundred dollars its ok, but if your real cost is approaching 2k its too much. It seems likely that GM is paying full freight just like the insurance companies pay full freight far car repairs.

greyshep likes this.
  16. greyshep

greyshep New Member

Yes the charger that comes with the car can do dual