Charge port

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JOSEPH CORTEZ, Dec 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have a 2019 Kona ultimate. My charge gun would not connect or snap into place when trying to charge from home. I called the dealer to get a part number for the charging port of the car, I was told they can’t give out part numbers even if you buy the part. HMMMMM
    I wanted to know if anyone has had an issue with the charge port of the vehicle. I was also told they are on back order for the part and asked if this has been a big issue with these cars. No straight answers.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/oem-parts/hyundai-charging-port-86340k4000

John.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

That's weird. Are you saying it USED to connect & charge? Did you do something that damaged the port on the car? Are you sure it's not the external charger (gun) itself?

5. This is a new problem for me as well. Noticed today when I connected the EVSE to the car's port I hear the locking relay and then the connector relay to the battery engage. The EVSE starts delivering power but no lights on the cars connector ring light up. The car is receiving power but oddly I can remove the J1772 connector without any resistance. It should be locked and it seems like the cars high voltage battery connection is still live for a few seconds after removing the J1772 connector( you can hear the relay close), that is a bit of a safety concern. Will try the portable EVSE and rebooting the car by removing the battery ground tomorrow before schlepping off to the dealer yet again.

6. The spec says that the contactor must open within 100mS of when the CP signal current changes to a non-charge state such as zero when disconnected. Even though CP is the shortest pin, you will always beat that with even the most gentle removal. But, you won't be able to physically touch the pin socket in that time.
    So, further to that there will be a hot-plug/unplug life spec for the J1772 connector (100 cycles if it's the same as the Type 2) that will have little impact in this case since at 32 A max you're at only a fraction of its rated current, I think 200 A.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Little issue with the CCS locking in. j1772 hasn't been as noticeable,so more rare,so far. Call another dealership,and ask for the charge port diagram/part number. Issue,I have found Hyundai doesn't even give the dealership parts department detailed parts diagrams which makes zero sense.Have never seen it,but maybe the technicians application will have it?