charge port door wouldn't open

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Qisl, Mar 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I don't drive much. So, I've been charging my SE roughly two times a week from a 120V plug.

This evening I tried to charge the car but I couldn't get the door to open. I was thinking to myself "wtf!".

Then I wondered if the car was locked.

Roughly ten days ago I had made a setting that would cause the car to lock, if I forgot to lock it. But in the past ten days, I'd never seen any evidence of that. For example, I'd arrive home, and the next morning the car would not be locked. I was thinking that maybe the software is smart enough to know where my house is and to realize that it was in my garage and it didn't need to lock itself.

But when I checked this evening, sure enough, the car was locked.

So I got the key fob and unlocked the car, and was able to open up the charge door. And while I was watching it charge, the car locked itself.

What was different about today? I drove over to my dealership to pick up my plates. Hunh: did my dealership cause the changes that I'd made to my car to suddenly take effect?

Well, whatever the case, now I know that my car will probably lock all of its doors in case I forget. (I'd always wondered if the charge door locked when the car was locked. I'd hate for some EV hating miscreant to wander by and stick bubblegum in my charging port.)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

Where’s that setting again?

4. ghost

ghost Active Member

I had trouble unlocking my charge port door yesterday. Tried locking/unlocking several times w/ and w/o the FOB. I'm due for a new sensor b/c my SE thinks the door is always open.

I finally unlocked it by pushing it in and holding it, then hitting the unlock button on my FOB.

5. Mini4bv

Mini4bv New Member

Automatic locking
    Via the Central Information Display (CID):
    1. "My MINI"
    2. "Vehicle settings"
    3. "Doors/Key"
    4. Select the desired setting:
    – "Lock automatically"
    The vehicle locks automatically after
    a while if no door is opened after unlocking.

– "Lock after starting to drive"
    The vehicle locks automatically after
    you drive off.

endquote likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not only does locking the car doors lock the charge port door, but it also locks the charging plug to the car until 100% charged.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

The car will only re-lock the doors if you unlock it but don’t open a door or the boot within a certain period of time. It will not automatically lock the doors when you arrive home and forget to lock the car (unfortunately).

revorg, endquote and SameGuy like this.