Charge Limit Removed After Dealer Service

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MagicSmoke, Jul 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Purchased 12/31/20. 80% charge limit was imposed in April 2021 for Recall Campaign 200 by the dealer, and restored to 100% charge limit on July 22nd, 2021, after the dealer told me they checked for some (unspecified) codes that were not present, and I was told therefore the battery did not need replacing.

The dealer invoice listed 31HYZ as the labor/parts code, with S/W update (21-01-046H), and an additional item 11D043R5.

Questions:
    Has anyone else had this happen with their cars? (don't want to poke through 600+ thread)
    Should I push Hyundai for a battery replacement?

Thanks, Mike

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I wouldn't be too concerned as the purchase date is almost 10 months after the recall production end date ( March 2/2020).
    Add to that no codes were generated, you should be good to go.
    Checking the label (on the back left side of the pack) will detail the actual manufacture date of the pack, and is probably the only indication we have as owners as to how close to the production date is to the recall.
    I suspect your label will indicate a production date well after the production fault was corrected.;)
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/how-to-know-if-its-the-lg-or-the-sk-battery.10010/#post-116076

MagicSmoke likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I just wish they'd be up front about what, if anything, on that label positively identifies
    the cells inside as good or bad. They *OWE US THIS*.

_H*

MagicSmoke likes this.
  5. HepKona

HepKona Member

I was told the same thing on my July 2019 Kona.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Any chance of supplying a picture of the battery pack label? I assume you went through the same checks as @ Magic Smoke. July /19 does fall within the recall dates of August 28/18 and March 2/20.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. HepKona

HepKona Member

finally got a chance to snap a pic earlier. IMG_3437.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Hi electriceddy,
    My wife provided a little more detail: Our car sat around dealerships in Salem, OR, before being shipped to Portland, then to Vancouver Ford/Hyundai in Washington. We purchased it at Vancouver dealership on 12/31/2020, however, the door VIN sticker reads Date of Manufacture: Oct 8, 2019

Finally got a photo of my battery label, which reads:
    BMS P/N:37501-K4051
    BMS ROM ID:6500
    2019/10/05 (October 5, 2019)

this appears to fall within the recall part numbers and dates
    IMG_2899.jpg

electriceddy and eastpole like this.
  10. Additionally, we received the following email from Hyundai notifying us apparently that they will be setting our charge limit back to 80%.
    ================
    Hyundai Motor America will launch Recall 200 (EV battery) soon regarding your Hyundai Kona, VIN: KM8K53AG5LU060405.

Our records indicate that your Hyundai Kona’s Service Campaign P29 has not been performed on your vehicle or your Kona EV battery’s ‘Max % Charge’ has been set to 100%. Due to the battery safety issue identified with your vehicle, we will be setting your “Max. % Charge” limit to 80% in the next couple of days.

• In case you have not already performed Hyundai’s Service Campaign P29, we also request that you schedule an appointment with a Hyundai dealer for their assisting with your setting the EV battery’s ‘Max % Charge’. Hyundai will provide a $200 gift card to you as a gesture of customer appreciation for any inconvenience.
    • In the meantime, we respectfully request that you maintain your EV battery’s ‘Max % Charge’ limit to 80% until Recall 200 is launched. This will ensure that you can safely charge your vehicle indoors or without damage to your vehicle should you park and charge your car outside.
    For additional information on setting your EV battery’s ‘Max % Charge’ or having a Hyundai dealer perform Service Campaign P29, please contact Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151 (M-F 6am-5pm PST; Sat 6:30 am-3pm PST) or visit www.HyundaiUSA.com/Campaign200.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Thanks for the photo...can't read the numbers/letters under the bar code on the right side of the label: these are the ones I have been trying to track and deciphering attempts have failed, so far.:confused:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Here is a better picture:

Vertical bar code reads 05101903B00555A
    IMG_2912.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Thanks...first 6 numbers of the bar code are now... decoded :)

Info from posts #4 and #6 - @HepKona
    Bar code 02041902A00092A - Build date 02/04/19
    200 Recall info: pack is not requiring replacement - 100% charge capacity restored

Info from posts #1 and #10 - @MagicSmoke
    Bar code 05101903B00555A - Build date 05/10/19
    200 Recall info: pack is not requiring replacement - 100% charge capacity restored.

Another pack label:
    [​IMG]
    This one from @Joev
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/battery-replacements-are-starting.11390/page-5#post-139653
    Bar code: 23021902A00302A - Build date 23/02/19
    200 Recall info: pack not requiring replacement - 100% charge capacity restored

Anybody see anything wrong with the analysis so far? Maybe call it P29 Recall info?
    (1) We need to see more pictures this time with defective packs (ones that do require replacement under recall 200)
    (2) alignment of the remaining 9 alfa numeric symbols to compare differences.

This may take a while, but at least it is progressing somewhat similar to the frequency of the actual pack replacements from Hyundai (slowly).
    Perhaps we will eventually have solid evidence of how to determine if the pack would qualify for replacement by reading the label, which would be a great benefit for all perspective Kona buyers and owners.

And now for this bad one:
    [​IMG]
    supplied by @gonfunko
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/battery-replacements-are-starting.11390/page-4#post-139255
    Barcode : 07051902A00632A - Build date 07/05/19
    200 Recall info : pack required replacement

Maybe the 4th symbol from the right has to be a "6" to be identified as needing replacement?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    eastpole, Anaglypta and MagicSmoke like this.
  15. LBourgon

LBourgon New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 2020 Kona Ultimate. Seems like US customers are getting way more info than I am in Canada. I’ve received one letter from Hyundai Canada months ago about a battery safety recall. The dealership supplies zero info.

Months back, I was disappointed when the indicated battery range suddenly dropped about 10% after doing one of the recalls. When I asked the service center, they said it wasn’t related. They told me it was because it was getting colder. The temperature hadn’t changed in 24 hours, so I told them this made no sense. They had no response. My battery charge limits still showed 100% but displayed estimated range had dropped from about 420 km to about 380-385 km range.

Two weeks ago, I brought it in for a regular servicing, and they told me there were no recalls to do at that time. Strangely, when I charged it the next day, my estimated range shown in the instrument cluster and infotainment system suddenly jumped from a previous max of about 375 km, back to 420 to 425 km, like it was before one of the safety recalls. No one told me why this was, and the dealer said nothing they did would have changed that.

Their apparent lack of knowledge about what's going on is worrisome and the lack of transparency is insulting.

My two cents.

Luc

16. The attached file contains selected pages from Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin 21-01-046H. In particular the flowchart on page 3 shows the conditions under which the Max Charge can be set back to 100%. I would have thought that this TSB would be available on the NHTSA website (nhtsa.gov), but I couldn't find it. On the webpage https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls I input the VIN for my car, a 2019 Kona EV Limited, and the website correctly identified the vehicle, but showed a message "0 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN", so I'm not sure what to believe on that website.

Attached Files:

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.
  17. Not sure what to believe either. For my VIN: KM8K53AG5LU060405, https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls reports the following:

1Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN
    Mar 01,2021
    Manufacturer Recall Number200
    NHTSA Recall Number21V127000
    Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

SummaryHYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA (HYUNDAI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2019-2020 KONA ELECTRIC AND 2020 IONIQ ELECTRIC VEHICLES. THE LITHIUM-ION (LI-ION) BATTERY MAY SHORT-CIRCUIT.

Safety RiskTHE SUBJECT VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH BATTERY CELLS MANUFACTURED IN THE LG ENERGY SOLUTIONS CHINA (NANJING) PLANT IN WHICH THE ANODE (NEGATIVE) TABCAN BE FOLDED. A FOLDED ANODE TAB IN THE BATTERY CELL COULD ALLOW THE LITHIUM PLATING ON THE ANODE TAB TO CONTACT THE CATHODE, RESULTING IN AN ELECTRICAL SHORT. AN ELECTRICAL SHORT IN THE LI-ION BATTERY INCREASES THE RISK OF A FIRE.

Remedy2019 MODEL YEAR KONA EV OWNERS WILL BEGIN RECEIVING REMEDY NOW AVAILABLE NOTIFICATION LETTERS BEGINNING IN LATE JUNE 2021 AS BATTERY SUPPLY BECOMES READILY AVAILABLE FOR THEIR VEHICLE. ONCE OWNERS ARRIVE AT THE DEALERSHIP,DEALER WILL INSPECT AND IF NECESSARY, ORDER A REPLACEMENT BATTERY SYSTEM ASSEMBLY. A SOFTWARE UPDATE MAY ALSO BE NECESSARY. THIS PROCEDURE WILL BE PERFORMED AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNER. 2020 MODEL YEAR OWNERS WILL RECEIVE A REMEDY NOT AVAILABLE LETTER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AS REMEDY FOR 2020 MODEL YEAR OWNERS IS CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT. HYUNDAI RECOMMENDS YOU TO ADJUST AND MAINTAIN YOUR BATTERY'S 'MAX% CHARGE'LEVEL AT 80% AS A PRELIMINARY SAFETY MEASURE TO ENABLE YOU TO SAFELY DRIVEAND CHARGE YOUR VEHICLE AT HOME PRIOR TO THE REMEDY BEING PERFORMED. SEARCH YOUTUBE AND TYPE "SETTING THE MAXIMUM CHARGE LIMIT HYUNDAI" AND SELECT THE FIRST LINK THAT APPEARS OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ADJUST YOUR BATTERY'S 'MAX% CHARGE' LEVEL. HYUNDAI APPRECIATES YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER.

Manufacturer's NotesOWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NAT'L HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION VEHICLE SFTY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9150 OR WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

18. It's super cool to see this. Thanks!

19. TY for this information. I had the same experience as you and also the 0 unrepaired recalls for the vin, a 2019 Kona EV SEL. I too just didn't believe it since for many months the information was that the battery needed to be replaced. This prompted me to call Hyundai corporate, and after a few weeks I was able to speak to a case manager. The CM told me if I wasn't having any problems with the battery then there was no need to replace it. I explained that the problem with the battery was that it might blow up, although it was functioning just fine. After being placed on hold I was advised that if I wanted a new battery I could have one but there is a large back order. The advice was to go to my dealer and ask them to put me on the list for a new battery. I was also advised that it was perfectly fine to charge the battery to 100% now.

20. First written TSB documentation I have seen giving the part numbers for the bolts and remarks (in the dealer order parts as needed) list to include before replacement. Golden!:)

mho and Wildeyed like this.