"Charge in time slot" problem. (won't charge off peak on it's own)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SOCALMINI01, Nov 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

Hello everyone!

I have a 22 SE.

I have my charge in time slot setup (9PM-4PM). Now, when I plug in off peak it will charge just fine. It will pause on it's own when peak hits (4pm-9pm). However, it will not resume charge on it's own past 9pm.

It's like the car goes to "sleep" and won't communicate with my garage charger. The strange thing is if I lock my doors in a attempt to "wake" the car up, it will start charging. I have tried troubleshooting be deleting and reinstalling the app, redoing the time slot in the app and in the car, no dice. I used the same EVSE with my old Chevy Bolt and didn't have any time slot charging issues.

tldr: While plugged in, will charge in time slot fine. It pauses outside of charging time slot, but will not resume charge seamlessly.

Anybody run into this or have any advice? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

BUMP. Anybody?

4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

When it pauses after 9pm, how long have you left it alone? Do you have a departure time set?

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I have never had trouble with the car charging during charge window, and if I switch to immediate charge it always will.

I believe @Carsten Haase may be on to something, if you have a departure time set the SE back-figures when to start charging to be ready by departure time. There's a trick where if your departure time is 30 minutes or more outside of your charge window the SE will act like charge immediately during the charge window but will not charge outside of it.

6. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

It will pause charging between 4pm-9pm (highest electricity rates for me), but it will not initiate charging past 9pm. (Charging slot is set for 9:00pm-4:00pm, essentially avoiding peak electricity rates) . I have left it alone maybe for an hour, (no charge) departure time is set for 5:00AM.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

I tried playing around with the departure times, didn't change anything. Just strange if I hit the lock button it will start charging. I guess next step is to just leave it alone and see if it will start charging by morning.

9. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Dude. you are trying a fancy scenario on a not very fancy EV. If you want that kind of sophistication, then get a Tesla.

10. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

Car has the time slot charging feature.

Godfrey and insightman like this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE will try and be fully charged by 5am, and that means it won't start charging again until 5am minus how ever long it takes to get to 100%. So it may not start charging until 2am or later, depending on how much is left to charge.

SOCALMINI01 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I stopped trying to figure out the reason(s) long time ago. The car has a mind of its own. Doesn't matter the state of charge, sometimes it keep on charging until full. Sometimes it stop charging at the end of the time slot and resume charging at the next interval. I never change the "time to leave", which is BTW 11 a.m., so I think it will not affect how it charges. In the charging history it counts as one charge. Weird or what? :rolleyes:

SOCALMINI01 likes this.
  14. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

Solved this issue thanks to feedback from this thread/forum.

I set the departure time 30 minutes outside the charging time slot and it starts charging right away now once my time slot begins.

Another tidbit, once you make time slot charging changes in the app or car, it takes a while to really change even though the app says it sent the info to the vehicle. For example I'd make a change, test it outside my time slot and it starts charging even though it shouldn't. Next day I tried and it works as per the time slot.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  15. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Mine always updates quickly (a couple of minutes max). Maybe the car has a poor network connection in your parking spot? I think I read somewhere that it uses ATTs network but not completely sure about that...

16. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

Sigh!

Unfortunately without changing a thing, time slot charging failure. Plugged in outside the charging time slot and it starting charging. Obviously seems like the software is the problem.

Godfrey likes this.
  17. SOCALMINI01

SOCALMINI01 New Member

You are correct. The software is bunk.