CHAdeMO chargers for M3 drivers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by electriceddy, Jul 11, 2019.

1. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I appreciate the 'heads up' but I find it impractical for my purposes:
    1. At 50 kW it is half the speed of a Tesla SuperCharger for $0.21 vs $0.24 per minute.
    2. Checking availability CHAdeMO on a route to Coffeyville KS (my Mom's home,) I'd rather use an L2 EVSE or NEMA 14-50. For example, I can get an hour charge on a NEMA 14-50 for $1 or $0.017 per minute giving 28-30 miles in that hour.
      • The first CHAdeMO is West of Little Rock AR is too close. To get the maximum 50 kWh, I would have to run the Model 3 battery to less than 50% but then not have enough charge to reach the next CHAdeMO or SuperCharger. It is cheaper to get a "ShorePower" charge or camp out in the Tesla at a Fort Smith RV park and take a nap.
    Now if there were a CCS-1 adapter capable of running at 100 kW or more, I could jump on that.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  3. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

One step at a time, at least for some it may make a difference in superchargerless area's, lots of those in Canada

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

I quite agree! An EV owner really needs to understand what is available for their car and their requirements.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Active Member

It could certainly work out OK for those who live near Webasto charging stations at $19.99 per month for unlimited charging.

https://www.evsolutions.com/ev-network

I think there are plenty of folks who will pay for convenience. So even EVgo and Electrify America stations will see some activity if a supercharge is too far away.

Heck, if just 10% buy the adapter, that's a lot adapters.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    bwilson4web likes this.
  6. R P

R P Active Member

My son just got one for his M3 (very expensive unfortunatley). The main reason is to be able to use the BC Hydro DC fast chargers (most are free) and more available than the Superchargers (not free for M3s).

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

You're lucky. We only have one, 24x7, free CHAdeMO charger downtown. Any others are as far away as the Athens SuperCharger and open just during business hours or for substantial fee$.

Bob Wilson

8. Bolero

Bolero New Member

I just got one too. Now, I'm waiting for the firmware update.