CCS to Tesla Adapter?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Joel M., Apr 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Joel M.

Joel M. New Member

Hey friends!
    Has anyone tried using a CCS adapter to charge their Tesla? My mum drives a Model Y and she's been wanting to test one of those Chargefox fast chargers. Found this fairly cheap adapter from Lectron but not sure if they ship in AU.
    https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron ... f019&_ss=r

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The challenge is the charging port controller needs the handshake routines to communicate with either CCS-1 or CCS-2 chargers. The best approach is to ask Tesla Service if the controller in that car, need the VIN, supports the CCS adapter(s). There is a difference in the connector for CCS-1 and CCS-2.

Bob Wilson

LegoZ likes this.
  4. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

It shows in car see circled in yellow:
    IMG_1565.jpeg

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

6. bwilson4web

My 2019 Model 3 requires changing the charging port ECU. I'm waiting on the announcement of this option.

Bob Wilson

LegoZ likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I also just realized you said ship to the AU. What year model three does she have? And does it have the Tesla style (NACS*) plug or a CCS type 2?
    * would it be called NACS outside of North America?

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I wonder, given all the flap last week, if / when Tesla will start selling an adapter that goes the other way,
    to market to CCS vehicle owners who want supercharger access. I would kind of trust something Tesla
    makes or OEMs rather than some offshore knockoff...

_H*

10. bwilson4web

In one respect, the "magic dock" Supercharger station has a locking, CCS1_EV-to-Tesla adapter. I don't know if Tesla is selling them to CCS-1 owners.

I did find the TYPHOON PLUG:

[​IMG]
    There remains the problem of getting a Tesla charger to negotiate the handshake and give a charge.

A couple of months ago, I saw a Nissan trying to get a charge at the Huntsville SuperCharger station. In friendliness, I suggested they needed to go to Athens, the nearest CCS-1 station. In exasperation they claimed their adapter didn't work. I didn't see their adapter.

Bob Wilson

11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Maybe they had one of the generic level-2 destination adapters, expecting it to work on SC. Not
    without the two honkin' extra pins, of course..

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Oh, question related to this: I've heard that the Tesla-branded adapter has active thermal monitoring of
    the power pins. If that's true, how does the necessary circuitry get power? Not likely that it's going to
    run a thermistor monitor from 400 VDC. Also, how would it report a problem, and to the car or the charger?

_H*

14. bwilson4web

I don’t know about the adapter but the Tesla plug has one as well as some unknown number in the cable.

In a pinch, I would use the pilot or the presence pins. Pilot could protect it from excessive heat easily enough.

Bob Wilson

15. Betty

Betty New Member

I would also like to ask you guys about the car, my car is a 2023 Model 3, recently I have learned about a site CMST feel pretty good, anyone know about this site and purchased products from this site? (The website is as follows)

CMST website: https://cmstracing.com/collections/tesla?tags=CMST&page_num=1