CCS/SAE vs CHAdeMO?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jimct, Nov 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Hope this isn't a stupid question: I leased my 2019 Kona EV a month ago and so far have done all my level 2 charging from home. Never having yet used a public charge station I'm a little confused over the level 3 CCS and CHAdeMO plugs - can I use either? I signed up with Plugshare and they only show the CCS and J-1772 as compatable. I've been knocking myself out searching for an answer from the manual and on the web with no luck, I'm sure someone on this forum has the quick & easy answer. Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. For DC fast charging (DCFC) (level 3)you can only use CCS on a Kona. Chademo is for Japanese manufactures like Nissan Leaf or Mitsubishi. That said most DCFC stations have both option available your just pick the one that fits you car. In Konas case you pick the CCS. Also the Chademo is a different shape so it won't physically plug into a CCS port on the Kona.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Jimct likes this.
  4. You need a ccs charger, it's a 1772 plug with 2 additional dc power pins at its base, chademo won't work for you without an adapter

Jimct likes this.
  5. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Thanks for helping me avoid looking like an idiot at the station ;-)

6. Just remember to take off both plastic covers on the cars charging port and only go to 80% on fast charger it starts to slow down the charge rate around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.