CCS charging at Supercharger

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Mar 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

With Tesla opening up their Supercharger network to CSS, the question has been raised on the Interwebs concerning the very short cable on the Supercharger, and the fact that the location and parking spaces are specifically situated to serve the Tesla configuration of the plug port on the left rear side of the car.

Many other BEV vehicles will not be able to charge at a Supercharger because of this issue.

So, my inquiring mind presumes that someone must make a CCS extension cord/cable, but I’ve not been able to find such an item. Has anyone seen a CCS extension cord?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Another thing to mention is that 800V architecture EVs are gimped when using the supercharger magic dock. It will really depend on the internals but it could be capped anywhere from 25kW to 100kW (usually 50kW peak).

4. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

No such thing as a CCS extension cord and would be bulky, heavy and horrendously expensive if it did exist.

Louis W likes this.
  5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the v4 superchargers will solve both of these problems. Longer cable, and able to support 800V architectures without gimping out.

This all gets tied into Cybertruck - that is supposed to be 8-900V, so Tesla would want to solve this problem for their own purposes. And I am sure they would have some way to charge on a 400V SC, but we don't know what the limitations of this would be as of yet.

6. Jim In Tucson

I’m in a CCS desert, literally and figuratively, so the idea of being able to utilize the Superchargers changes the dynamic for me.

When I bought the SE there were 3 CCS chargers in Tucson, now there are 8. However, most of these are single stations. Considering the low reliability, and possibility of being in use, I simply would not depend on any of these. So my back up plan is the same as my primary plan: charge at home.

If the 36 local Supercharges were added to the 8 CCS available I would feel much more comfortable considering public charging as a back up plan.

I was simply asking about the CCS cable for a friend, I actually think the SE might be able to charge from a Supercharger without the need for an extension cord.

Hopefully an SE owner in New York will test out Supercharging the SE in short order.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    If the SCs are near I-10 or 19 and at the edge of the metro area there’s a fair chance they’ll be upgraded soon, especially in a CCS desert (it’s money on the table).

9. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

NYer here. I tested out a Tesla supercharger with my SE this morning. The cable is short so I backed all the way into the stall and was able to plug it in. The Tesla app is simple and easy to use and the process was seamless.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    They seem to be concentrating on WNY for now, all around the Finger Lakes. Hoping they cross the border, but the cynic in me says that won't happen anytime soon if Tesla doesn't get any government-financed incentive to make the conversions. Circuit Électrique stations in Quebec are favorably priced for now, -- even their newest 350 kW stands -- and unlike EA, they are quite reliable for the most part.

11. Jim In Tucson

Woo-hoo! That’s great news.

We’re you backed into the correct stall or the adjacent stall? Photo?

What did it cost? I heard say on the Interwebs that Tesla had a $30 connect fee plus the electricity?!?! I sure hope that is fake news.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    I've seen mention of per-kWh pricing for non-Teslas, or $12.99 a month for non-Teslas, with a 12¢/kWh discount (so you'll need to charge at least 108 kWh a month just to benefit from the membership).

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No connect fee mentioned in this video @chrunck found and posted in the other thread on Tesla Supercharger access.

I'm sure that's an index finger in the thumbnail.

Texas22Step likes this.
  15. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

$0.49 per kWh without membership

$0.39 per kWh with membership

No connecting fee or any other fee

Texas22Step likes this.
  16. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it was the correct stall for the charger.

Marques was not able to use the correct one in this Rivian and neither was State of Charge in a Lightning or another person in a Lucid.

There will be conflicts at Supercharger stations with the Magic Dock until the V4s get installed.

upload_2023-3-4_18-30-54.png

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Which wouldn’t be an issue with the dispenser in the middle of the spot and a long enough cable.

18. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Heavily subsidised which I’m fine with as it should be. Currently at a 50kw unit in Rigaud. But the Tesla network open there are two along the 87 which will make the NYC drive easier