Carplay autoplaying music or audiobook - how to turn off?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kathy, Aug 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I love my Clarity (std model) and Carplay with my iPhone - except for one extremely annoying feature (yes, I know it's not strictly a Clarity feature). No matter what, when I plug in my phone to my car, Carplay autoplays a song or my audiobook, sometimes I can't even guess what it's going to play. Even if I have no audio playing when I last drove the car, no audio playing on my phone when I get in the car, Apple decided that as soon as I plug in to my car I must want audio. I often do NOT want audio when I get in the car! I want silence (none of that in the office or at home) and I am happy to launch the audio from the Carplay interface when I'm ready. I have checked the Carplay settings on my phone and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn this feature off. Apple is so good at providing you options in so many other features, why not this one?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fargledaer

fargledaer New Member

I searched for a solution to this when I got my car, and it can’t be done. The issue is that the car is telling CarPlay to play as soon as it connects. It seems that all current Honda models that support CarPlay do this. Other manufacturers do not. It’s not something apple can fix.

You can leave the audio on another input, and switch it back to CarPlay later when you want music. Or you can turn off the shuffle option and it should play starting from the first track in your library alphabetically (unless you have a track/station/podcast/whatever currently paused, in which case it will use the current one). You can make an hour long silent mp3 and add it to your library with a name that will always sort first alphabetically as a workaround.

Personally I choose to do none of these and use the moment when I get into my car each day to hone and focus my inner rage. Keeps the blood pressure steady so that I won’t get lightheaded exiting the car when I arrive at my destination.

4. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Fargeledaer, thanks for your reply. I was hoping that Carplay in iOS 13 would fix this issue, but I guess not. How do you leave the audio on another input without losing Carplay? I use Carplay for my navigation every time I drive.

5. fargledaer

fargledaer New Member

You can switch the audio source with the steering wheel controls or the (cumbersome and slow) center touchscreen console. I’m not sure what happens to carplay stuff if you’re already using it when you switch. I don’t bother, I just leave it on CarPlay and manually stop the music every time I start the car, and then scream into the little mouth-sized pillow I keep in the driver door bin for CarPlay related rage relief. I suggest you just get a screaming pillow like the rest of us on this forum (I assume) do.

6. bill_m

bill_m Member

Kathy, I have had my Clarity for nine and a half months, and this has happened to me exactly once (!) I am usually listening to a podcast while driving, and usually the next time I drive, whether or not I had stopped the podcast before shutting off the car, the podcast continues from where it left off.

However, just the other day when I started the car the beautiful Mozart string quintet in G minor began playing, and I was entranced until I began to think: I have never ever invoked my iphone music from Carplay( ! )

I can only attribute it to the fact that certain combined states of iphone/carplay create unchosen perhaps random invocations.
    My solution to this and other carplay anomalies has been to shut down the iphone before plugging it in to the car so it initializes from a known state.

Let us hope the new release in the Fall will fix these problems.

Kathy and 2002 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Bill_m, new release of iOS 13? Or new release of Honda software? I know the new iOS comes out in the fall, but according to Fargeledaer, it's not something Apple can fix.

I'm hoping someone can give me some hope here, because I'm fresh out of mouth-sized pillow for Carplay related rage relief. ;-)

9. fargledaer

fargledaer New Member

I am just restating what I read from a few google results, I am not an authoritative source on the inner workings of CarPlay. So maybe it’s an option that can be added in the future. But the fact that other cars don’t have this behavior makes me think it was an intentional choice by Honda.

10. bill_m

bill_m Member

There is to be a new release of Apple Carplay ☺️