Carbon neutral fuel for ICE

Discussion in 'Energy' started by R P, Nov 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It is combustion by-products, not just carbon, that is also a problem. The NOx and other combustion by-products that degrades urban air quality. It is less bad with modern catalytic converters but they can be easily stolen. Then there is the ICE inefficiency along with mechanical complexities of an ICE. A typical ICE drivetrain has about two orders of magnitude more moving parts including the transmission.

In contrast, BEV relocates the electric generation sources away from urban centers. For combustion generators, the flue gasses are treated and ash collected. Nuclear and renewables are also removed from populations. Notice I'm not addressing carbon with a lot of urgency as other by-products can kill too. For example mercury poisoning of fish to the point of risking humans who eat them.

Like hydrogen, I'm skeptical that manufactured fuels make sense UNLESS a nuclear or renewable source powers the process. In one respect, the intermittent nature of solar, wind, and tide will naturally be averaged when (IF) variable rate manufacturing of fuels from the excess power ... when available.

Bob Wilson

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Dieselgate wasn't about CO2 emissions but the other toxic emissions that contribute to urban pollution. Synfuels doesn't solve urban pollution.

Synfuel will be great for those that want to partake in combustion motor sports, or own a classic ice vehicle. Just like hay is great for those who ride horses.

I can't see it being efficient enough to make to compete with electric transportation.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

This would make sense for all of the applications where hydrocarbons can't be replaced.

5. To remove this ad click here.