car cover

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by davidbike, Jan 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. davidbike

davidbike New Member

The new se lives out in the elements of central Florida. My wife compulsively removes every speck of dirt, twig of leaf. A car cover is in order here. Any suggestions?

thanks

azausa likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The only time I use a car cover is when the weather forecast includes hail. So when looking for a car cover for my SE, I wanted one that fit well and had multiple layers to soften the impact of the hail. A year ago I was going to order a CoverKing car cover because they are custom-fitted to each car and they offer multi-layered fabrics that offer cushioning against impacts.

However, when I told CoverKing that instead of an ICE MINI Cooper, I had a MINI Cooper SE, they wouldn't guarantee it would fit because the grille protrudes more than the grille on an ICE MINI Cooper. I'd be surprised if these covers are so tight that they couldn't accommodate the SE's slight additional front-end bulge, but I ended up not buying one for a different reason. I couldn't talk them into reducing the height of the sleeve that goes over the antenna to match the shortie "sport" antenna I installed on my SE. I didn't want a floppy sleeve (how's that for picky?). Because they're made-to-order, I was surprised they couldn't make that small change for me. I still may get one.

azausa and wessy like this.
  4. Ahh, I can relate to the pickiness; if it is made to order, it has to be according to my specs.

5. I am the same, after washing the SE, for the next couple of days, I will be picking off every speck of dirt and wiping off any hand print off, even with the SE living inside the garage. Until I bring the SE to another remote off-road trip and bring her in for another wash after

6. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I wanted some snow protection along with the typical dust, as my SE may be parked under a carport for months. I bought a Platinum Shield cover from CarCovers, it seemed to be the highest rated at the time although pricey. They listed a 2021 SE fitment. It fits OK, a little baggy, not a custom but functional. It has plenty of elastic at the bottom front and back to hold it in place and the usual cord to route under the chassis for some wind protection. It comes down to nearly ground level, plenty of fabric. The fabric is strong, reflective, with a soft liner, well made, a little bulky. Its probably overkill for casual purposes. When the weather clears a bit, I'll take a photo.

I've used lightweight car covers on my Vette for years. This one is a bit bulky for casual/quick mall/work parking lot use.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2970.JPG

9. davidbike

davidbike New Member

ColdCase

Thanks for you insights and photos

I was trending toward CarCovers and you pushed me over the brink. Ordered a cover from them. Will give an update as they arrive.

For those following, there is a company CarCover, without the pleural s. They don't seem to have the reputation of CarCovers.com

10. davidbike

davidbike New Member

The carcovers.com cover arrived the same week as ordered.

Coldcase posted pics

The cover is well constructed, fits as pictured and described by ColdCase, and with a very soft inner liner. As ColdCase noted, it is bulky for casual use. But, for prolonged coverage or inclement weather with hail or blown debris it will be just what I wanted. To others on the forum, if you are looking for a cover, I would have no hesitation in ordering from this company.

insightman and wessy like this.
  11. Bemsha

Bemsha Member

Do they make covers with a hole on the side for the charging port? I have a countryman PHEV and can’t for the life of me find a cover that would allow charging while in use.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I think they will customize a hole, but won't like it. They claim holes and mirror pockets compromise the strength, making for weak points where tearing can start.

I forgot to mention that I installed a very very short stubby antenna to avoid cutting a hole for the OEM. I never listen to the radio, so that may not work for everyone.

14. davidbike

davidbike New Member

15. davidbike

davidbike New Member

If the cover is as loose on the Countryman as it is on the Cooper you should be able to fit the charger under the cover without the need for a hole.
    Take a look at ColdCase's pictures.

16. insightman

Maybe I'll order one now that you've verified it works with an SE. Thanks!

I'll have to shorten the antenna-sock portion to fit my shorter MINI Sport Aerial--the sock would look silly flopped over like a used condom.

17. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Are you sure the cover will work in an SE without a hood scoop?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman, revorg, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  18. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I would use a car cover primarily for protection from bird crap and tree droppings. Wouldn't I have to clean those things on a cover? Which is easier, washing the car or washing the cover?

19. insightman

Car-cover manufacturers have an opportunity here. They should offer packs of rip-off plastic top-shields to protect the car covers protecting the cars. We all need more disposable plastic items, right?

MichaelC likes this.