Can't Get Out of Auxiliary Mode - 2020 Niro PHEV with 2,600 miles.

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Greg23, Aug 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Greg23

Greg23 New Member

I Start then Stop normally, with the car in Park, but the Nav/Info screen stays lit, the radio can be turned on, the Menus are available.

Or, I "double-tap" Start/Stop with my foot off the brake, to get into Auxiliary mode, and get the "Discharge" warning. Then when I single tap to "stop", Instrument Cluster goes dark, door open is displayed when I open it, but Nav/Info screen remains on and functional.

I'm 3 hours from a dealer, and they are not receptive to trouble shooting over the phone.

I'm new to Niro so operator error is high on the list. Got clues, tips, or tricks?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I don't have a real answer, but does it shut off when you get out and lock the car?
    I know my info screen stays on after I shut off the car until I open the door.
    Do the interior lights work[thinking a bad door switch...]

4. Greg23

Greg23 New Member

It does not shut down when I leave the car. Thirty minutes later the Info screen is still lit. Radio can be turned on. Menus are accessible. Rear hatch light still operates. (All doors were opened and closed as a sanity check.)

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a bad door switch since the door open icon is showing when the door is open.

On my Sonata, you get a chime when you push the stop/run button and a different chime when you push it again to stop the car.

When the stop/run button is pushed to stop the car, the display stays on until I open the door or until it times out after a few minutes.

I suspect there is an issue with one of the electronic boards. Unfortunately, that probably means waiting a day or two for parts, plus the time driving. Ouch!

One thing you could try is to disconnect the 12 Volt battery for a few minutes to see it will reset the computers.

I would call Kia corporate to see if they can arrange to have the vehicle brought to the dealer for repair at no cost to you.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It's long shot, but you could try jumpering the 12 volt battery to see it that makes any difference. Since 12 volt battery issues cause weird things to happen, it worth giving it a try.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Greg23

Greg23 New Member

Thanks all.

Out of an abundance of caution to not drain the 12 volt battery I decided to disconnect it. Of course another light went on (mine) and I reconnected after about a minute. Problem solved. Everything was dark. Started and Stopped like usual.

For the next time I'll 1) press Stop for about 5 seconds, 2) and/or leave the car, close the door and lock it, 3) disconnect the battery (I'll store a 10mm socket and breaker bar with my "jump start" battery.)

I appreciate the insights.